Indie Teen Rom-Com Songs & the Need to Drive

10 Songs that belong in an indie teen rom-com (A.K.A. The Only Highway Playlist You'll Ever Need)

It's common knowledge that the soundtracks of these movies are the best of the best, but they're all so obscure, no one can ever find them, let alone blast them while driving into the sunset...until now, that is.

1174
Em Cote

I'm not sure about you guys, but summer just makes me reminiscent for classic Indie Teen Romantic Comedies, where the boy tries to get the girl, colors are vibrant, muted twinkle lights sparkle, the sun sets in the perfect way --

You all know the types of movies I'm talking about -- classics like "Perks of Being a Wallflower," "Me, Earl, & the Dying Girl," "Love, Simon," "Ladybird," and "The Spectacular Now" -- where the ending is always bitter sweet no matter how much you want everyone to be happy. That's kind of what summer is all about, though: bittersweet endings. We're nowhere close to the end of this season of fireflies, late nights, and warm breezes, but it's always good to be prepared, which brings me to the topic of this playlist.

It's undeniable that the best part of ITRC's is the one inevitable scene where the main protagonists drive down an empty road with the windows down, feeling the setting sun on their skin and soaking in the moment for everything it is.

THAT is the best part of any ITRC and is the part we've all wanted to recreate at some point or another, and it's totally possible, but the real question is…

…….What song will you play?

It has to be upbeat, bittersweet, have a good bass interspersed with a keyboard. This is some very specific stuff, which is why I've done all the work for all you dreamers out there. All you have to do is plug in the AUX cable, grab your sunglasses and your best friend by the hand, and drive off into the distance to have your own Indie experience that will likely be unforgettable.

YouTube Playlist: 90's Indie Teen Rom-Com Songs

Spotify Playlist: 90's Indie Teen Rom-Com Songs

#1. "Little Numbers" by BOY

BOY 'Mutual Friends' Album Cover

Starting our list is BOY with their hit "Little Numbers" which details a the main protagonist daydreaming while she waits for her love interest to call her back. Not only is it one of the best folk-y indie pop songs out there right now, it is light and leaves you wanting to dance around the living room in nothing but an over-sized button down.

Song Link

#2. "Lisztomania" by Phoenix

Phoenix 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' Album Cover

The word Lisztomania was first used by Heinrich Heine to describe the almost riot-like fan frenzy directed toward Franz Liszt (a Hungarian composer) during his performances. You wouldn't think that someone from 1880 would inspire such an amazing song, but here we are regardless.

Song Link

#3. "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap

The Temper Trap 'Sweet Disposition' Album Cover

So many people remember this song from their teen years that it's scary, but it fits so well with the rest of this list that there was no way I couldn't include it. This one gained a lot of popularity after being featured in "500 Days of Summer," but most remember it solely as an indie anthem.

Song Link

#4. "San Francisco" by The Mowgli's

The Mowgli's 'Love's Not Dead' Album Cover

The Mowgli's was generally unplanned and truly came together by chance, and we're so happy they did. Crazily enough, they actually wrote this song during an impromptu trip to San Francisco while they stayed the night in a cheap motel room as a band.

Song Link

#5. "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons

Imagine Dragon's 'On Top of the World' Album Cover

Imagine Dragons is known for their more popular and intense song "Radioactive," which is why this song is such a leap from their usual while still being an incredibly entertaining piece. It's actually based on a concept called "Clapping Music" by minimalist composer Steve Reich from 1972.

Song Link

#6. "Electric Love" by Børns

Børns' 'Dopamine' Album Cover

All I can say is that Taylor Swift wasn't wrong when she said that this one is an "instant classic." It's way too unique in its composition and lyrics to NOT love!!

Song Link

#7. "Unbelievers" by Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend's 'Modern Vampires of the City' Album Cover

It's Vampire Weekend, my friends. That's all you need to know to love it.

Song Link

#8. "Jump on My Shoulders" by AWOLNATION

AWOLNATION's 'Megalithic Symphony' Album Cover

Here's another band that is famous for a heavier song ("Sail") but has proven that it can absolutely flex its indie pop wings. Kudos, AWOLNATION.

Song Link

#9. "Forever" by HAIM

HAIM's 'Days Are Gone' Album Cover

If you're looking for something more than bittersweet, look no further than this song. Honestly, for anyone going through a breakup, give this a listen. It definitely leaves you feeling a bit of something.

Song Link

#10. "I Wanna Get Better" by Bleachers

Bleachers' 'I Wanna Get Better' Album Cover

This is one of my favorite songs of all time; you can listen to it when you're down, when you're up, and when you're just you. For anyone who wants to improve themselves and work towards being someone until the day they die...hit play.

Song Link

Needless to say, these songs are near and dear to my heart, but I will say this: if someone makes an Indie Teen Rom-Com with all these songs featured, I'm expecting royalties. Please and thank you.