How India And Pakistan Can Ease Tensions With Communication
International

What's Happening Between India And Pakistan Can Be Solved With Communication

Rather than fighting against the terrorist groups, both countries are just fighting amongst themselves. This hurts the innocent citizens of each country more than the terrorists.

111

It is no secret that India and Pakistan have had tense relations for centuries. Ever since Pakistan had succeeded from India, these conflicts have existed. As the years of gone by, the strained relationships have remained but have gotten a little better. However, in February 2019 any bond that India and Pakistan had created has been sabotaged. For those of you who do not know, India and Pakistan's central conflict since the partition has been the fight over who gets the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Till this day there have been three wars that have been fought between India and Pakistan over the ownership of Jammu and Kashmir, the Indo-Pakistan War of 1947, Indo-Pakistan War of 1965 and the Kargil War of 1999.

Now with the events that are currently happening, both countries could be at the brink of another war.

On February 14, 2019, a suicide bomber who was carrying about 661 pounds of explosives crashed into the convoy of the Central Reserve Police Forces ( CRPF) in Pulwama, India. The suicide bomber had killed 41 people and injured many more. Jaish-e-Mohammed, a terrorist group in Pakistan, took responsibility for the attack and stated that its mission was to free Kashmir from India.

In response to the terrorist attack at Pulwama, India had done an airstrike on March 27, 2019. The airstrike is being celebrated by Indians and is being seen as one of the most efficient missions ever completed. Within 21 minutes, the Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 had dropped about 2204 pounds of bombs over Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist camps killing, according to Indian government sources, about 350 terrorists. (Pakistan has denied any casualties.) This is a good thing India has made the world a safer place. In the process, unfortunately, several civilians were killed, including one mother and her two children all because they lived in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Pakistani government has responded to the airstrike by calling it "uncalled-for aggression." Pakistan has stated that India has violated the Line of Control. The Line of Control refers to the boundary that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan. While this line is not recognized as an international boundary, it is more of a de facto boundary. Using the claim that India has crossed the boundary, Pakistan is getting ready to give a "suitable response in self-defense." This is why there is the possibility of another war between Pakistan and India.

One thing to note is that both sides are ready for war.

Coming from an Indian community, I've been seeing and hearing a lot of pro-war comments, and after reading a lot of articles regarding the issue, it seems that on both sides there are people who are actively encouraging the war. Both countries have been out for each other ever since the partition, and now they both have a reason. But the problem with this war happening is that it would be pointless. Rather than fighting against the terrorist groups, both countries are just fighting amongst themselves. This hurts the innocent citizens of each country more than the terrorists. Lives of soldiers will be sacrificed for a war that does not have to take place. Instead, if both countries come together to fight the terrorists, it would make much more sense.

Let us all remember one thing, boundaries and nations are all human-made things. Before we are Indian or Pakistani or American, we are all human.

All of these wars that are going on with hundreds of thousands of lives put at stake are not worth it. All of these problems can be solved with clear communication and cooperation. We were placed on this Earth to make it a better place and to come together, not divide ourselves by nationalities, religions, skin color, caste or creed. Together we can achieve things that seem impossible, but that is only possible if we put behind these labels and divisions that we created.

As Dalai Lama has once stated, "Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace."