SPOILERS AHEAD

'Incredibles 2' definitely lived up to its pixar classic expectation

Oh, the nostalgia!

26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qOzqD9Rms
Disney Pixar on YouTube

SPOILERS AHEAD:

After a 14-year wait filled with endless questions, "Incredibles 2" finally hit theaters on June 15, 2018. With its premiere teaser trailer debuting a year before its release date, many fans of many ages riled up enthusiasm as fans were filled with nostalgia and youthful sentiments. Because I was 6 years old when the first Incredibles movie was released, this franchise shaped many childhood memories that I held dear. With playing the Incredibles video game with my brother almost religiously every weekend, I fell in love with the heroic family of Dash, Violet, ElastiGirl, and Mr. Incredible.

With being such a huge fan of the Pixar classic, I made sure to purchase my ticket a week before the premiere date. With almost every movie time sold out by then, I luckily was able to score one late Thursday night. After over two hours of explained movie arcs, adorable Jack Jack scene-stealing moments, and Edna being the queen that she is, I can say I was highly impressed with this highly anticipated sequel. I felt overwhelmed with nostalgia in my seat. I felt like I was that six-year-old girl again watching the most powerful superheroes protect their identity. With this new installment, I only had very minor complaints, but the plot was fresh, and the added superheroes added a complex and detailed twist to this box office monster.

With the plot of the movie focusing on the newly introduced ScreenSlaver who uses flashing images that resemble hypnosis methods, it is evident to see the issues many have had with this use of persuasion. Because of the bright and flashing lights that the ScreenSlaver used towards his victims, many were upset that there were no trigger warnings at the beginning of the film for epileptic seizure warnings. With people susceptible to these bright strobing lights and fast-moving images, it is imperative to issue warnings to movie goers. I praise advocates for calling out Pixar for this dangerous and life-threatening mis look. Moreover, Pixar studios issued an apology by issuing a notice to movie theaters to display the warning before the film.

Overall, the film was well worth the wait. It kept the same themes and humor that the first film was known for. It was fun to see ElastiGirl finally deserve the recognition she deserved.

The film expanded on her heroic abilities and did not just subjugate her to the role of a caretaker that the first film emphasized. Part two fixed the stereotypes it created in the second film by finally putting ElastiGirl in an empowering role. Although she was ultimately caught by the ScreenSlaver and needed saving, she was not placed into the trope of being a damsel in distress. Both she and Mr. Incredible were caught and ultimately dependent on their kids to save them from making heroes illegal forever. Putting Dash, Violet, and Jack Jack as the saviors who saved the heroes from the grasps of the ScreenSlaver gave empowerment to the younger audiences who may see themselves as hopeful youths.