10 Reasons You An Incoming Freshman Should Pick The University Of Kentucky

And yes, there's more than just basketball.
79

Are you a senior in High School?

Deciding where you want to go to school next year?

At this time last year, I was in your shoes and had pretty much decided where I was going to go. After a bit of research and finding which school would suit me best, the Univerity of Kentucky is and still remains my top choice in colleges, even after almost a year of attending.

Here are so of my top ten reasons you should pick the University of Kentucky.

1. Basketball

Who at Kentucky isn't a basketball fan. Many alumni still go to the games to cheer on the Cats.

2. They have an amazing Journalism program, as well as many other undergraduate and top graduate programs

I may be a bit bias about the journalism program, after all, it is my major. It is also one of the only universities in Lexington to have a coordinated program in dietetics. The university also features a wide range of majors and minors.

3. Keeneland

Without fail, every spring and fall — you can even get dressed up to go with friends and depending on the day you go, may earn some scholarships.

4.The campus

The people on campus are super nice and accepting, overall there is a great sense of community. It is beautiful year round. When the weather is just right you can see many students outside in the lawn chairs studying and doing various other activities.

5. K Week

This was one of my favorite things about being a freshman and was where I met many of my friends. It was also a good thing for someone like me who came from out of state and didn't live on campus.

6. Generous out-of-state scholarships

This was another reason a few of my friends and I picked going to UK, especially because we were out of state students. So if you are considering going out of state, UK is a good option.

7. Small city feel, but not too small

If you're like me and you grew up in a big city then you know what its like to have crazy traffic and how it takes almost an hour to get to the city depending on what suburb you come from. In Lexington, while being a commuter I have found that it takes anywhere from 15- 20 minutes to get to and from the school.

8. You can experience all of the seasons

And I mean all of them. Winter. Spring. Summer. And Fall.

9. There are tons of ways for students to become involved

This can be anything ranging from Greek Life all the way to student-run activities/clubs.

10. The Honors Program

The honors program has a whole list of benefits on top of the ones that students get when going to the University of Kentucky.