Incoming Ball State Freshman: here are 11 tips

Orientation can be a whirlwind of information that doesn't seem useful at all in the moment. Been there, done that, and there is no really going back once that student ID is placed into your hands at the end of the 2 days. Here are some tips they leave out of orientation.

1. Take the Cow Path

The cow path is a stretch of sidewalk that runs behind Robert Bell, Ball Communication, David Letterman, and AJ all the way to the Student Center. This is so helpful because the main roads get wayyy to crowded especially with people trying to ride bikes down the sidewalks.

2. DO NOT go to the Atrium anywhere from 11 AM to 1 PM

This is the busiest time, aka lunchtime, so if you feel comfortable waiting for 30 minutes for a Papa John's pizza go right ahead, just don't think I didn't warn you.

3. Don't go into college looking for love

If you go into college looking for love and trying your hardest to find a significant other, 9/10 times it won't work out... Sorry.

4. Find the shortest routes between your classes and stick to that for the whole semester

Once you find shortcuts and ways around the crazy traffic of Ball State, stick to that route and don't try to make up anything different. Odds are, you found what works best for you and why change it up?

5. If you are on the 3rd floor of Bracken, whisper.  4th floor? Don't even think about opening your mouth.  

I have been on the 3rd floor of Bracken Library numerous times where people are talking at their normal voices. I get so annoyed because if you wanted to talk, go to the 2nd floor. If you are on the 4th floor, don't even think about talking cause I will come up to you and ask you to leave.

6. Jamba Juice is always crowded, so if you have 15 minutes to get to class, estimate it will take just about that time to get your drink.  

Since Jamba Juice is in the Atrium, it is another hotspot for students to grab something "quick". These lines can take forever, so plan accordingly.

7. If you have a writing assignment, don't hesitate to go to the Writing Center. 

The people there aren't going to judge your writing. They are there to help make your writing better and more developed.

8.  Don't get a job unless you think you can handle it

I did not have a job during my first year of college because it would've overwhelmed me to a point of another breakdown. Do what you feel comfortable with.

9. No one is going to judge you for calling your mom every night

I called my mom almost every night just to debrief on my day, there is nothing wrong with wanting your mom to know what is going on in your life.

10. Mental health is a very real thing, take it seriously

Take what your mind is saying seriously, just like you have to keep your body healthy, you have to keep your mind healthy too.

11. Find where you study best and stick with it

For some people Bracken Library is a Godsend, others like a more coffee shop feel or go study outside. Just don't lock yourself away in your room 24/7. You and your roommate will thank you.