In Times Like These

In Times Like These

Pray, and pray hard.

10
In Times Like These
Ann Voscamp

My thoughts are so turbulent and exhausting after the week America has experienced. I wrote this as fluidly and naturally as my thoughts would allow themselves to appear. It is in times like these when I am scared to open my door. I am hesitant to log onto Facebook to see rumors and hatred. I turn on the news after a long day and am faced with horrific devastation. Brothers against brothers, pointing fingers just to give someone blame, has been a game played since the first cornerstone was laid on American soil. It is sickening and disheartening. It has become our reality and it is time to change.

In times of darkness, lights at the end of the tunnel are fogged. Shots in the dark are felt less, right?

In times of struggle, we can only rely on the strength of the Cross. We need it more than ever.

In times of heartbreak, it’s easy to give up, but easier to trust in the One who ultimately gives heart.

In times of pain, Band-Aids run out, wine bottles are empty, and Bible pages are torn.

In these lonely hours, when hashtags don’t matter much anymore, when infinite scrolls never suffice, unplug yourself from reality and cry.

In times of confusion, punching walls never works. Don’t speed, for the love of Heaven. No more death – please!

In times of doubt, turn off the TV and cough out the pixels. It’s okay just cower within yourself and just pray. Pray, and pray hard.

You need to know that it’s OK to struggle. It’s OK to internalize fear. It’s OK to be hurt. Let me remind you that it shows you’re human.

Aren’t we all human? Aren’t we all sacks of blood and bones with a pulse and a working brain? Aren’t we all the same on the inside?

In times of blindness, we tend to run into walls, pointing fingers and blaming strangers for our own problems.

In times of vomit-inducing power, choking you with each breath, it’s subliminal; it results in death and destruction.

Walk twenty feet to the mother drowning in grief. Pick her up and say, “It’s OK, I’m here”.

Throw away the hatred. Educate yourself and sober up; you’re too high on life and ego. Immerse yourself in truth, all the while locking your doors.

Pick up your Bible, the same one you step on in pride, and turn to Revelations. Truth is hard to swallow, isn’t it?

Look up to the clouds, turn to the Cross, and cling to it – really cling to it. The waves are tossing you harder against the surface. Cling to the Cross when you feel like you’re drowning.

God sees all. God knows all. He feels all. And yet, this Omnipotent Creator does not see color. God does not see money. He does not see status. He sees your heart and faith and generosity, which is lacking.

Our attempts at justice are failing. Hope in the world is fading. The least you can do is turn off the TV; fluorescent blue screens are intimidating, anyway. Look in the mirror, brother, and face fate.

It’s time for change. It’s time for love. It’s time for justice. It’s time for prophecy. It’s time to fall on your knees in prayer.