In the Snow

In the Snow

8

The snow underneath my feet crushes softly. I feel the coldness seeping in through my shoes. It attacks my toes first and it isn’t long until my socks are soaked. I’ve come to this place to watch her. She always sits there, on the swings and swings her life away. I can’t help but stare in awe. She will never catch me, I hide behind trees, try to stay as far away from her for she might take that pleasure away from me.

I am a bit early today, so I stand against a tree. I sigh, watching as my breath disperses into smoke in the cold air. I close my eyes and I try to imagine her. Her long black hair is flowing in the wind, her emerald eyes look far off into the distance and her red lips stand out against the olive of her skin. I imagine myself alongside her, swinging our lives together. I’m not a perfect match, she deserves so much more, but I can’t help it.

I hear footsteps. I immediately open my eyes and look around me. I can’t see her yet. This place is always so remote, it would be so easy to spot her. I hear laughing. Laughing? Is it her laugh? I’ve never heard her laugh before, much less speak. It stings that I’m not the first to hear it. After all, she is supposed to be mine.

I look around me once more. Where is that laughter coming from? Surely it’s hers, but I think I hear someone else with her, a deeper tone underneath her soft voice. Who are you, voice that stole my soul? This time, I look around me frantically. I have to find them! My heart beats fast and I’ve began panting. My breath comes out in short strokes, the cold air chilling my bones.

There, I see them! Her hat does little to hide her long hair, I can tell it’s her. Who is the guy beside her? He is almost as beautiful as she is. Blond hair with deep blue eyes, he smiles too. Who is he, how dare he smile alongside her? I watch them, careful to hide my body among the trees. My heart sinks as they sit on the swings. She sits on her usual one, and he sits where I’m supposed to be. They lock gazes and I can see her cheeks flush. God, she is even more beautiful when she blushes! I wonder, if I kiss her, will she blush for me too? How will those lips feel, will they be warm and soft, welcoming?

They begin swinging, as always, her hair flows with her, it’s mesmerizing. He follows suit, undoubtedly as amazed as I am. They stop, they talk for awhile. I can’t hear them, they are talking so low. He holds her hand. “No! That was supposed to be for me!” I whisper angrily as my fist hits the bark. I don’t want them to know I am here. He’s looking at her the way I always imagined I would, adoringly, lovingly, warmly. She gives him a coy smile. My beautiful dove, what has he done to you? Why are you acting this way? He leans in closer and she shyly looks away. They stand up, still holding hands and sit on one of the nearby benches. Although it stings, she never fails to enchant me. I can’t look away, I’m too far in.

There he goes again, leaning closer to her. This time, she is not looking away, she’s staring into his eyes. Slowly, her eyes droop and their lips touch. It’s the smallest of kisses, almost like a feather grazing your lips. It’s small but my heart feels like it’s been pummeled because of it. She giggles and he hugs her. Enough! I’ve had enough. She was never mine and now never will be. With that one kiss, he’s stolen everything from me. My vision begins to get blurry. I walk away.

Behind me, I can hear them laughing.

Author’s Note: This was just a small story that I wrote while I was bored at work. I hope you guys enjoyed it!