In Praise Of Columbia's Specialty Food

In Praise Of Columbia's Specialty Food

3
In Praise Of Columbia's Specialty Food

Remember that rough afternoon when you slowly slid out of bed craving that juicy burger with a side of greasy fries? It was probably yesterday. We all know about those nasty mornings where all we want to do is hit up the local bar and grab some solid, greasy food. It’s the key to surviving that day. The only hard part is deciding where to go and what to eat. Lucky for us, Columbia has some top bar food.

Thanks to Harpos, Big 12, Shilohs and Bengals, students at Mizzou have found the cure to the nasty aftermath of of a long night out or any painful obstacle. It’s not what we should be eating, but it’s college, and it comes around once, so let’s enjoy every burger, every fry and every slice of pizza. These past few years at Mizzou, I have witnessed some great meals that I find myself drooling over. It might be the cheesy nachos at Big 12 or the barbeque sandwiches at Harpos that are calling in crowds, or it’s the tacos at Bengals that have people talking.

What is the key ingredient that makes bar food so tempting? Is it that grease covering every bite? Or is it the idea of a fatty meal we feel rebellious to splurge over? We love to cheat our diets on days in need of a good bite. No way we are turning to an apple. After a late night, you and your friends just have to make it a point to get to the nearest bar for food. Forget fast food joints like McDonalds or Sonic. There is something about sitting in a bar with friends, drinks and a table full of grease that is addicting. You sit down and once the waiter brings you your menu, it feels like you’re holding gold. It shimmers in your hand, as your eyes gaze side to side while your mouth drops to the floor. Endless options of small bites, sandwiches, burgers and dips fill your mind. Time to feast. No manners, tablecloths or elegance needed.

Head into town and make your way over to Quintons for some delicious, satisfying quesadillas. If you want some small appetizers, Harpos has Foghorn dip that is out of this world. For a classic slice of pizza, Shakespeares is not the only joint that conquers a pizza craving. Shiohs, from past experience, has amazing pizza that has you eating every corner. Also, bars offer happy hour, which means deals on deals. What beats dollar burgers at Big 12? Maybe the dollar drinks to go with it.

Rough mornings are never fun, but when you have several opportunities to redeem your day with good old bar food,  there is nothing to complain about.