In My Blood captures relatable issues in new ways

"In My Blood" Review

True bonds are formed through the sport of quidditch

80
"In My Blood" Review
Miranda Allen

Sports are all about finding a way to fit in and define yourself.

"In My Blood" explores this through the lens of Jamie Foley, a college student on the competitive quidditch team at her school.

It is a wholesome narrative where one girl works to overcome her past through the support from her friends on the Quidditch team.

Even in the seven-minute time frame allotted to this film, the producers managed to make dynamic characters who grow, despite their "baggage."

Foley, the main character, starts out the film as a closed off member of the Quidditch team, listening to music instead of warming up with the team. By the end of the film, she is able to apologize for her outburst and move past the problems she has with her father.

Although the film does not go into the details of her father's criminal background, the absence of that information allows the audience to focus more on the theme of the film. Foley is looking to escape the negative influence of her father to be successful in Quidditch and form meaningful friendships with her teammates. At first, it is hard for her to open up but as the secrets about her father come out in a quidditch press conference, she learns to rely more on the friendship of her teammates.

When Foley prepares for the press conference, the camera focuses on the smile on face to make it clear to the audience that Foley is proud of her membership on the Quidditch team.

Another interesting facet of the film is the storyline between Foley and teammate Marisa Quinones. From the casual use of "babe" as Foley and Quinones are walking outside to the way Quinones looks over her should at Foley as she turns to her door, the film creates a dynamic hinting at the possibility of the two becoming more than friends.

These two scenes connect to the final scene where Foley and Quinones hold hands while walking across the field.

Ending on the scene of Foley and Quinones holding hands perfectly closes the film. It shows that Foley has finally found a way to belong and it resolves the storyline between Foley and Quinones. Foley finally picked up on the hints from Quinones and reciprocated the offer to get ice cream.

The film keeps the audience engaged from beginning to end with its use of dynamic characters and the second storyline of Foley and Quinones. There is a clear theme in the film with a conflict that is resolved by the end.

The film is also relatable. Everyone can understand what it is like to want to fit in and belong. Most audience members could probably identify with Foley at one point or another. With a relatable plotline and quality footage throughout the film, the producers created quality content.

I also enjoyed the use of quidditch as the sport that forms the friendships Foley needed. It is a popular phenomenon in colleges that is not often captured in films. It breaks away from the stereotypical soccer or football storylines.