In Defense of Cats

In the Defense of Cats

It should go without saying...

19

It may not be my place, but I ca not help but notice all the articles that are posted on the Odyssey that just go on and on about how 'spectacular' it is to be a dog owner, and also going on to saying how much better pets dogs are in comparison to cats.

Currently, I have two dogs and a cat, but I have always grown up with cats. Ever since a young age, my family always had at least one with us, each with their own unique personalities and quirks. I do not say that to disguise any annoying things they have done. They never knocked anything over and broke something and they never did anything that could be described as hating us humans.

I also should not have to point out that any cat video you link to that proves their horrible nature, there are just as many videos of dogs tearing up furniture or also throwing up on the carpet.

The main difference I see between cats and dogs is that with cats you have to earn their respect and friendship, feeding them and giving them a clean litter box will not automatically make them love you. Having a cat is them sitting near you but just far enough that's annoying to reach over and try to pet them. It's them always waking you up to get fed in the morning, and cuddling up to you when you go to sleep. And even when they barf on the carpet or get you mad, you can still always pick them up and hold them tight, whether it's out of love or to in a way get back at them by limiting their movement.

Cats often get a reputation of being heartless and not caring about their owners, but I've seen how cats seem to have a real understanding of when their owner is going through some hard times and are available for cuddles and hugs. When I've had some down moments when I was home, my cats were always there for me, and I'll always be thankful for that.

If you want to see something that says in visuals better than I can write, watch the movie Kedi. It's about the cats that roam the streets of Istanbul and live good lives even when they don't always have one particular owner. It's a beautiful little film and anyone who likes animals would enjoy watching it.