16 Quotes I Heard In Class That Have Everyday, Real-Life Value

16 Quotes My Professors Dropped In Lecture That Carry Meaning Far Beyond The Classroom

Sure, studying the different types of DNA mutations or identifying the elements of Gothic Literature present in horror films can be interesting and are important at the moment. But professors also introduce lessons that are far more prevalent in life outside of the pages of their semester-long syllabi.

188
Kelsey Dietrich

It can be really easy to get bogged down in the frenzy of balancing life as a college student. All of a sudden, you are exposed to different ideologies, lenses to view the world, formulas to memorize, tenets to recite, difficult issues to work through, arguments to defend, papers to write, presentations to give and many, many other important skills. College professors have the difficult job of relaying all of the pertinent information to their students through lectures, assigned reading, and activities designed to implement the ideas and notions of their designated field of study.

However, professors also tend to slip in little reminders about life in general that can have a tremendously positive, eye-opening impact. It wasn't until this semester that I began to realize how special some of my college professors are and truly appreciate the impact that they have at this very important stage of my life.

Here is a compilation of 16 quotes stated by the professors I took classes from last semester that hold true meaning both inside and outside of the lecture hall.

1. "Clean your windows. It's always a good thing."

So you can see clearly.

2. "Read amply and voraciously."

Never limit yourself to one lens in which you view the world.

3. "Do something that you love everyday."

This way, you can guarantee a portion of positivity and joy in each day.

4. "Remember to breathe; sometimes it is hard to breathe."

And sometimes you need a good reminder to do so.

5. "Speak loudly and with confidence, always."

Even if you are not entirely sure of yourself or are nervous in a new situation, try to still speak with confidence because it will help you to start feeling this way as default.

6. "Sometimes it can be hard to jump in. Just go for it. I love interrupting and I love being interrupted."

Don't hold back because your contributions are so important to all that you are involved in.

7. "If it's kind of a pessimistic situation, then look at it as an opportunity to make a change."

Putting a positive spin on a negative situation is always beneficial.

8. "If we aren't careful, we are all going extinct... not just the polar bears."

Seriously, we need to start doing something about the impact of our carbon footprint.

9. "Sometimes technology does more harm than help."

Everything has pros and cons.

10. "You have to know what's going on to be able to counteract it."

Awareness to all current events is important. Always.

11. "You should read from at least two different news sources everyday."

This is one way to keep up with the current events and also it helps to diversify the perspectives that you receive.

12. "Patience is a virtue."

It may sound cliche because we have all heard it before, but that doesn't mean a reminder is unnecessary.

13. "Google is your friend, but beware."

Knowing how to use your resources wisely is important; it's even more important to know which resources you trust and to what extent.

14. "After you've been through it once, it's easier to spot the warning signs."

Take something away from all of your experiences.

15. "Let the reigns loose!"

You might be shocked at how good it is (every once in awhile)!

16. "Use each task, no matter how small, as a learning experience."

We are constantly learning.

Professors are very intelligent people who we have the opportunity to interact with daily. Here is just another reason why you should not be skipping out on going to class; you can gain so much knowledge that is applicable beyond the scope of the specific class topic.