The Importance of the Women's March

The Importance of the Women's March

Send a message to the rest of the world

84
The Importance of the Women's March
forbes.com

We are in a turbulent political period in our country's history. There's riots and protests popping up not only all around the United States, but also around the world. I think it's very important to take a stand for what you believe is important for the future of the country. So that is why I'm writing this article from a hotel room in Washington D.C. during the weekend of the inauguration. I'm taking part in one of the biggest events Washington D.C. has ever seen, The Women's March. They are predicting 200,000+ people coming to march down the streets of the city in a peaceful demonstration of the importance of not only women's rights, but all human rights.

Being a part of this piece of history is something that is influential for the future of our country. Playing a small part in the overall theme of equality, inclusiveness, and tolerance, is vital in sending a message to those in power, as well as those individuals around the country who need to hear this encouraging message. We are making strides forward, that's for sure. We almost had our first woman president, which was completely unheard of for the longest time. Although society has been taking strides forward, there is a ways to go.

If you disagree with something, it's one thing to sit and pout about it, but it's another to actively try and make a difference. Standing with hundreds of thousands of other individuals who share my same concerns is empowering. There will be many celebrities and acclaimed individuals who will be standing there with us to support this cause that is so important. It's important to send a message that women cannot be treated as objects.

Recently, there has been controversy surrounding misogynistic actions and conversations from individuals in powerful positions. This, ultimately, portrays to the civilians that this mistreatment is somehow acceptable and can be tolerated. People in powerful positions display behavior, which is ultimately deemed appropriate by the rest of the country, who then mirrors their demeanor. This march is about many things, one of them being the statement that this behavior will not be condoned.

There is nothing as powerful as a peaceful march that sends a message to the rest of the country. This sets a precedent for the future of not only women, but for the equal treatment of all individuals. So this march will be inclusive of all communities, the LGBTQ community, the Muslim community, the African American community, the Standing Rock community, and of course, the women. It is sure to have an influential affect on creating an amity between all individuals who have the same ideals and values, while sending a message to the rest of the country to speak up for what is important to them.