The Importance of Slowing Down

The Importance of Slowing Down

Don't let busyness stop you from being present.

29
The Importance of Slowing Down

How are you?

A simple question we are asked often, and sometimes too often in my opinion because I don’t like how it has become a casual greeting, rather than a caring question.

Well, I started to pay attention to how I respond.

You know, the usual—busy.

Good! Just busy.

I’m good! Sorry, I’m so busy, let’s catch up soon—promise!

Wow, am I really that busy? Well, the simple answer is, yes.

Life is busy, and that is without question. We all have something, or multiple things, going on. We’re a student, an employee, a leader, an athlete, a musician, an artist, etc. Not only that but we’re full-time in the relationships we have. We’re a roommate, a best friend, a son, a daughter, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a spouse, a brother, a sister, a teammate, etc. No matter what it is, there’s always something.

We’re all perpetually busy, which in and of itself is not a bad thing. Honestly, sometimes I like being busy. However, on the flip-side, it is extremely easy to get wrapped up in what’s to come, rather than appreciating what is happening, which is exactly what I find myself doing.

I have become so consumed with my busyness, and the senior year stress of life after school, that I am missing out on important and memorable times with my friends and family.

I started to realize that I am losing sight of finding a balance between work and play, signaling to me that I need to slow down.

Slowing down is different per person. For some, it might mean dropping something you're involved in, having better time management, or even being more in the moment.

I fit into that last category of slowing down. I have realized I need to be more present—to be more attentive in conversations and to be more concerned about the lives of others.

I need to slow down so life doesn't pass me by, because it's starting to.

Instead of keeping a countdown to when I'm done with school, I should be thinking, only "x" many days left with my friends. Instead of worrying where I am going to live by myself, I should be thankful I am living with a great roommate and one of my best friends right now. Instead of worrying about the future, I need to be thankful for what I have. I don't want to miss the little things because I allow myself to.

When we slow down, we will appreciate everything and everyone around us.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
–Ferris Bueller’s Day Off