The Importance of The Second Grade

The Importance of The Second Grade

Life lessons that I learned young

195
The Importance of The Second Grade
Kelsey Fox

As I near the end of my junior year in college, I look back on all that I have learned. From playing with sand and singing songs about the sun in preschool, to learning the difference between their, they’re, and their in elementary school, to finding the area under a curve using calculus. There have been so many amazing things my teachers and classmates have taught me throughout the years. And which of these years has been my most informative? In which grade did I learn the most enduring, important lessons?

Second grade, obviously. (I mean, it is in the title so this probably isn't that surprising)

I know what you’re probably thinking

Second grade? But how is a grade where you haven’t even covered multiplication the most informative you’ve ever had?

Well, I am glad you asked. Here’s a brief list of the many things second grade taught me:

Censorship.

While I had never heard the word censorship, and had you asked me to define it in the second grade I would have responded with a blank stare, the second grade was the first time I knowingly experienced censorship.

It was a day like any other, my class gathered on the large carpet square in the back of the classroom. We hastily chose spots, knowing that who we sat by could make or break story time. Eventually we got comfortable and finished bargaining with our neighbors to switch spots with us so we could sit by our friend. Our teacher opened the chapter book to the page we left off last time and transported us to the world of Superfudge. Now, being the studious (nerd) that I am and even was back then, I had already read Superfudge. I knew the exact part of the book we were on and what part would come next. I followed along with delight as the teacher brought to life the words I already adored.

And then it happened.

Instead of Peter and his crush reaching into the popcorn bucket at the same time, a greasy and awkward yet satisfying encounter, their date just ended. No butter hands. I was shocked and upset.

Doesn’t my teacher know how to read? Adults don’t make mistakes?

I was so distraught I could not pay attention to the rest of Fudge’s antics. Afterwards I approached my teacher and asked her why she changed the words. I was never given a satisfying answer.

I guess butter hands were just too sexy for 7-year-olds.

That I HATE SCIENCE.

Returning to the large carpet in the back of the room, it is now December. The large, loud, and terrifying fourth graders have joined us for a movie in honor of the holiday season. "A Christmas Story" (because that is way more appropriate than Judy Blume’s smutty Superfudge novel).

Side note: this movie was terrifying. I was not a fan.

Anyway, there is an iconic scene in the movie where a character licks a pole in the middle of winter and his tongue gets stuck. At this point I am both terrified and disgusted. The fourth grade teacher then pauses the VCR and asks his class “Now, to melt the ice should we pour hot water or cold water?” And I, being the intelligent student I am, proudly stated “Hot!” My answer was met with a chorus of “Cold!” from the students who knew that this was a trick question. Jean Shepherd’s voice echoed in the distance as I sat in my shame.

Science cannot be trusted. (And while I am still hesitant to believe warm water freezes faster than cold water, this factoid has been etched into my memory forever)

People have insecurities that make no sense to you, but you have to respect that.

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned in the second grade was that everyone is insecure about something. As a 7 year old, you are not the most adept at thinking of how others feel, so you often just blurt out your thoughts.

One day I was working on...whatever classwork second graders do...and I noticed that one of my classmates was very tall. So, I went up to her and informed her of this fact, you know, just in case she was unaware. Her response was a sneer and comment that I do not remember verbatim, but it definitely informed me she already knew she was tall and did not appreciate being reminded. For the remainder of the year there was an apparent discomfort between us or at least in my head there was. I learned the hard way that 1. You are probably better off not commenting on people’s appearances unless you make it clear that it is a compliment, and 2. Just because you don’t think that someone’s traits are bad or you wouldn’t be embarrassed in their position does not take away from their feelings or insecurities.

I will probably never forgive myself for making this blunder, but I am at least grateful that tall little girl has because she's grown into my tall friend (I love you, you’re amazing, thank you for forgiving me).

And then June came. I packed up my crayons, safety scissors and ruler and hit the road. As I moved towards the upper elementary side of the school, I reflected on all the mistakes I made and lessons I learned because of them. And though I promised myself I would not make any more the next year, I am glad that I did.

Because I learned some pretty great things in the third grade too.