The Importance Of Post-Hardcore

The Importance Of Post-Hardcore

How one genre led to new directions in rock music.

62
The Importance Of Post-Hardcore
Dying Scene

Throughout the evolution of rock music, the genre has branched off into a variety of unique directions. From the melodic pop rock of The Beatles to the experimental efforts of Captain Beefheart, rock has changed so much over time. Rock music can be simple adventures that fill your head with fun, or it can use poetic lyrics and luscious instrumentation. Rock constantly shows what can be done with guitars and drums, and one sub-genre that demonstrates this is post-hardcore. Coming out of the 1980s hardcore punk scene, post-hardcore focused on songwriting and novel techniques within the confines of punk. Its divergence from hardcore led to new ways of playing rock music, and the progressive edge of post-hardcore was a thrilling excursion of punk.

Post-hardcore pushed the limits of what hardcore punk can do. Stressing complexity over speed, post-hardcore took the frenzy of hardcore in surprising directions. Husker Du and NoMeansNo incorporated jazz and psychedelia into their songs, whereas Refused introduced metal elements to the genre. Fugazi emphasized strong musicianship and complex guitar work, and Unwound brought influences from Sonic Youth & Gang of Four. Post-hardcore proved that hardcore punk did not have rules, and it dismantled previous conventions of rock.

Emotional expression is also an important element of post-hardcore. Whether it's the white-hot rage from Refused's 'The Shape of Punk to Come' or the cold atmospheres of Unwound's 'Leaves Turn Inside You', post-hardcore can express a plethora of emotions. Sadness and anger are mixed with surprise and joy, and these emotions are expressed in methods that can be explosive or subtle. Husker Du & Fugazi demonstrated how post-hardcore moved punk away from mindless ferocity, and they brought thoughtful sensibilities to rock music. Post-hardcore can express a breadth of emotions, and it can have beautiful elements as well.

Finally, the innovations of post-hardcore led to various movements in rock music. Rites of Spring's confessional brand of punk led to the creation of emo, and Husker Du's melody-tinged musings were pivotal in the development of alternative rock. Refused's usage of electronics and radical politics led to a new brand of post-hardcore, and At the Drive-In's passionate songs defined modern punk rock. Post-hardcore paved the way for different styles of rock music, and it helped the genre to grow in uncommon ways.

Overall, post-hardcore is essential for showing the development of rock music. Its incorporation of diverse genres broke down barriers for hardcore, and it showed how punk could expand from the three chord formula. Post-hardcore demonstrated the emotional qualities of punk, and it delivered intelligent aspects to rock. The genre also paved the way for disparate styles of music, and it developed rock in surprising manners. Post-hardcore is a vital outgrowth of punk, and it continues to give a new definition to rock music.