Why It's Important To Have A Schedule

Why It's Important To Have A Schedule

It definitely feels a lot better than waking up, doing nothing all day and then going to bed 12-14 hours later.

5
Why It's Important To Have A Schedule
enotmaks

Last summer, I was completely unorganized and completely bored out of my mind. I didn't have a job, so my only real time-sensitive commitments were appointments writing for Odyssey. Other than that, it was Netflix and books for me. Not having anything to do did a number on my anxiety; I felt like I was supposed to be doing something even though I wasn't. It's not a good feeling to have and it only emphasizes boredom.

This summer is completely different. It's only been two weeks so far, but I'm working from 7 AM to 3:30 PM every day Monday through Friday and I'm already noticing a difference. One of the more significant differences is that I no longer stay up until the wee hours of the morning nor do I sleep until noon. Just having a steady sleep schedule gives me a lot more energy even though I'm waking up much earlier than I normally would. Next, I'm literally unable to sit around doing nothing all day (except for maybe on the weekends). This "nothingness" is what has always killed me. There's hardly a worse feeling than not knowing what to do with yourself. Now that I'm working full-time and beginning to write my senior project, there's not really any room for that.

So: What does this mean for boredom? I realize now that there's no reason for it if you have a schedule. If there's no job that has the same hours every day? Write your own schedule with all of the daily tasks you need to accomplish. It's easier said than done; I've made writing schedules (for example) for myself in the past, and it's very hard to stick to them, especially when these tasks don't really need to be finished in a timely manner. Unless there are strict rules that go along with your schedule, there's almost no need for a schedule at all. And if you don't stick to even a self-made schedule, it can make you feel pretty crappy. In fact, feeling good about yourself for sticking to a schedule is one of the best rewards I can think of for completing the items on said schedule. It definitely feels a lot better than waking up, doing nothing all day and then going to bed 12-14 hours later.

Having a steady daily schedule has the power to make you happier and stress less. Having a steady sleep schedule has the power to boost health. We've all heard of the "body clock" and how oversleeping or not sleeping enough can throw that off. Sleeping regularly will make you more energetic (at least, that's what I've found) and, in turn, more energy will make you more productive throughout the day. It's common sense! It's actually kind of ridiculous that I needed to get a full-time summer job to realize this. I've always struggled with being "too tired" and after only two weeks of this particular schedule, I'm feeling better already.

Long story short: Schedules make you happier and stress less and help with productivity. Sleep schedules give you more energy which in turn increases your motivation and productivity. If you don't have a schedule for your daily life, get one, no matter how simple it may be. It's a no-brainer!