Why Music is Important To Me

Why Music is Important To Me

Let the music change you

425
Why Music is Important To Me
odysseyonline

Ever since I was a little girl, music has been a big part of my life.

I began dancing at age 5 and began band when I was in the fifth grade. I have distinct memories of dancing in our living room to music my parents loved when they were growing up. I remember putting on shows with my sister and listening to so many different kinds of music. At every stage in my life, different music has been there as the soundtrack to my life (cheesy, but true).

Way back then I never realized how far music would take me or how much it would be involved in my life. It's almost like music is an even bigger part of my life. In college, I am in the marching band (and sectional leader), I play in the percussion ensemble, I am a member of the pipe band, and I take dance classes when I can.

I spend at time every day making music or being involved with music. It has woven itself into my life so tightly, that I can't imagine a life without it. Who would I be if I didn't have music in my life?

Since coming going to college, i have developed a whole new appreciation for music and what it does for people. It can be healing, therapeutic, calming, empowering, and so much more. Music effects everyone in different ways and means various things for them. Some people listen to music walking to class because they don't want to talk to anyone and just want to block things out. Some people sing loudly in the car to all types of music.

For me, music is a nice escape. It's a way to transport myself to a different place and block out what is going on around me. Being a part of the percussion ensemble at my college also allows me to create music in a way that I never dreamed I would. When I first picked percussion when I was 11, I never imagined that nine years later I'd be playing with such an amazing group and stretching my own skills to the max. I have found a deeper appreciation and love of music I never knew I would have.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Music is so important to each and every person, and I feel bad for those who haven't found a passion in any kind of music. Music has the power to change lives. So if you're one of those people who haven't let music change them, why haven't you let music change you?