The Importance of Jimmy Kimmel

The Importance of Jimmy Kimmel

Some hate him, but some love him even more.

142
The Importance of Jimmy Kimmel
ABC

Jimmy Kimmel has reaffirmed his place as my favorite late-night talk show host, for the very same reasons you probably don't like him right now. That's right - Jimmy Kimmel has been on an entire new plane of respect ever since his monologues about the Cassidy-Graham healthcare bill. Regardless of your political views, whether Republican, Democrat, Independent, or the Rent is Too Damn High Party (it's real), Jimmy Kimmel is doing something important and it's about time you looked at it directly in the eyes. He gave an emotional monologue back in May when his child was born with a heart disease that can only be fixed through many expensive surgeries. It's a congenital heart condition that often requires lifelong care, and what better way to spread awareness for a problem than to use your A-list fame?

Now, it seems, he's taken it one step further, literally picking a fight with Senators and other political talking heads because of what happened to his son. He's making America look at this problem right in the eye, not as a politician, but as a father. Jimmy Kimmel, in essence, has become the face of worried family and friends when someone is diagnosed with a life-altering disorder, that often times never go away. And some of us, at least, are happy he is. Politics are an issue people avoid - it ruins Thanksgiving Day dinner, it causes fights on Facebook, and ultimately is just never a fun topic for people to engage in. The problem is, the very issues you're arguing over with Aunt Tilly living in Idaho is the very issue that is going to affect somebody in a very real way - and Jimmy's child is just one example of that.

Being disabled in America is inherently political, as much as you'd like to stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not. Let me clarify: It shouldn't be political, but it is. Nobody, really, wants to kill a disabled person. After all, we're told we are inspiring and amazing and all of this romanticized crap about what it's like to wake up with pain every day. Except, it's all romanticized.

And Jimmy Kimmel is reminding you of that.

He's showing you how your inability to have a dialogue about a problem is affecting real people and how your romanticized view is nothing more than a feel-good story you made up in your head while ignoring the very real struggles someone experiences. Critics will say he's politicizing his son's health problems. And anyone who is sick, or has a sick child, knows being sick is political, not inspirational. After all, we needed an actual bill to win rights for disabled people. If it wasn't political, we wouldn't need to have the Americans with Disabilities Act toliterally be treated decently.

Sorry to be the one to break the news.

Aside from that, it's also a highly underrepresented group of people who even within liberal circles are often forgotten to exist. I've been surrounded by numerous talks regarding groups of people that are in the minority, and it often took a very long time for disabled to be mentioned. In fact, disabled people are often forgotten entirely whenever I attended such a talk. The only people who always included them were, well, disabled people. It's well known LGBT people, people of different races, people of certain religions, etc., are in minority groups. But the problem is that "disabled" is often not a qualifier that is remembered.

Someone who has a life changing or rare disorder does not have the luxury of sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring a bill like the Graham-Cassidy bill. Because the passage of such a bill could literally mean life or death, and your sick friends want you to know that. I tend to avoid political conversation, but wanting to kill me is generally where I draw the line (pretty fair, don't you think?).

They want you to pay attention to these bills that are attempted to be passed, because we don't have the luxury of calling it political hosh-kosh and saying how difficult healthcare is to resolve. We don't have the luxury of analyzing the details of how kinda-sorta pre-existing conditions might be covered, mostly because we will definitely wake up the next day feeling our pains, attending our treatments, and being scared about our futures. We have to pay attention.

This isn't about Democrat vs Republican. This isn't about the fine details of Obamacare and whether it's good or bad or neutral or apocalyptic. This is about pre-existing conditions. This is about lifetime caps. This is about that I didn't want to get an official diagnosis because I knew that insurance companies wouldn't want to insure me. This is about peoples lives, which is inherently political, because it involves all of that. However, there is another side to this.

It's time to start remembering that nothing is complicated about not allowing insurance companies to discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions (such as raising premiums). It's time to start remembering nothing is complicated about giving a person a life cap and subsequently letting them die at 35 if they're not rich. It's time to remember that you probably have a pre-existing condition, or will get one in your lifetime. Nothing about any of that is inherently political. Taxes are political, not whether or not a cancer survivor can be priced out of insurance, or the 15 year old can get heart surgery. It's only political because it's made to be.

And the sickest of people, currently, are fighting your battle. The people I see paying attention to this bill are the sickest of people I know, or people who are very politically savvy. It's not like when there were protests in the streets for rights for other groups of people. People I know and people you know aren't paying attention, unless this bill can end their lives.

Still, we are forgotten in mainstream dialogue.

Thank you, Jimmy Kimmel, for attempting to change that, and becoming the face of parents with chronically sick children, and the face of the worries, stress, and sleepless nights we experience as adults. Thank you for becoming the face of the fear of being chronically sick and unable to work and the face of a scary treatment. Thank you for trying to get people to pay attention.

Because until now, nobody else has.

Unless they're calling us inspirational, of course.

And with each monologue, he includes another group of people that needs help. And thank you.