I'm Still Your Big Sister

I'm Still Your Big Sister

Location changes, but relation doesn't.

191
I'm Still Your Big Sister
Emmie Meadows

I think that, as big sisters, we forget just how important our siblings, particularly our sisters, truly are. As an older sister, I can tell you that my life would be completely altered without my sister who is thirteen months my junior.

Little sis,

You’ve grown up a lot, but in my mind, we will always be those two children slapping, kicking, biting, and punching each other in the back of Mama’s minivan.

I’m not too proud to admit that those scuffles turned into fist fights in the high school parking lot. We haven’t always made it easy on ourselves.

The fact of the matter is that I don’t think there have ever been two more different sisters in history.

You got all of the spunk of the family.

You hit a major growth spurt when you were in seventh grade, and at six foot tall, you made me the runt of the litter.

You can fix hair really well.

You have tattoos.

You can punch harder than any man I know (this I learned firsthand).

You, little sis, are definitely more interesting than your older sister can ever hope to be.

You attack life with a tenacity of which I can only be proud. You don’t listen to others, you’re hardheaded, and you always have to have the last word. It has been tiring at times, but it sure has come in handy.

That’s right, little sis; you always were my number one defender. You never once let anyone say a cross word about me. Sure, you could say all you wanted, but negative words about me were your reserved rights.

I reflect on our relationship, and to be honest, college has only affirmed this fact:

I miss you.

The dream, for me at least, was to go off to college and tackle these years together. God, however, had a different plan. Though only a year separates us, there are so many life experiences that have ultimately made you the more experienced, hardy sister.

We are miles apart, and we are at two wholly different stages of our lives. However, this is true: you will always be my baby sister.

There have been times when I literally felt like I could have ripped you apart with my bare hands. That, I’m sure, you know full well. However, what you probably don’t know is that there have been more times when I wished I could take those pieces of you that were broken and put them together.

After all, I’m still your big sister.

Life hasn’t been easy for you these past few years; know that this is not lost on me. We have both made some pretty serious mistakes, but I like to think that we also gained some wisdom as time progressed.

Many times, I led the charge into trouble, and you obediently followed my own stupidity. If it is any consolation, though, know that I messed up long before you ever thought of a defiant act.

I am, after all, still the big sister here.

I want you to know something though, little sis. It’s something I don’t tell you nearly enough.

I. Am. Proud. Of. You.

I know that you are tired from working two jobs, taking care of a one and a half year old, and going to school, but you make me so incredibly proud.

I will forever be proud of you and thankful for your hardiness and resistance to the hardships that you experience. There will never be a moment that I am not your protective older sister, even when I feel that the main person I need to protect you from is yourself.

One day, you will be my maid of honor because there is no one who could do it better than you.

However, please remember that if you don’t make me your maid of honor, I will not attend your wedding. I’m sorry, but your big sister is not designed for keeping the guest registry. You know that I need to be front and center.

One day, you will hold my children when they are born, and you better be in the delivery room. After all, I did that for you, even though I was holding back vomit the entire time because of my weak stomach.

One day, we will be those old women in the retirement home who still argue about everything. In fact, we’ll probably still kick and punch one another, too.

I look forward to this future because you, little sis, are stuck with me.

We have seen the worst of each other, yet the love that I have for you will never change. Through all of the heartbreak and happiness that this life will throw at us, we will weather the storm together.

I am still your big sister, and no matter where this life takes us, I promise that will never change.