Why & How I'm So Open With My Life

Why & How I'm So Open With My Life

Spoiler: You might be helping someone in being open with your journey.

32
Why & How I'm So Open With My Life
Nissa Diaz

When I started writing for The Odyssey, I had no idea I would be going on an odyssey of my own. From self-love and self-discoveries to finding love on the internet, to being open about my abusive relationships and diagnosis with endometriosis, I've written it all; both the good and the bad.

I've always been nervous before I send one of my deeper pieces to edit, worried if I said the right things or if maybe I went too far. Each time though, I always feel better after I see my work published, and then the messages start to come in. Sometimes it's simple texts from my family telling me how proud they are of my work, or other creators telling me they admire my willingness to be open (which I greatly appreciate). Sometimes though, I'll get a DM from a stranger, thanking me for being open about my life, and I know it's all been worth it.

I'm always glad to be able to help others, it's all I ever want to do.

In every piece that I write, I hope that someone else is able to read it and take comfort in knowing they're not alone.

I always hope to share my side of the story, so that others may feel empowered to amplify their voice and help others as well. This is all I ever envisioned wanting, I never realized the cycle would come back to me.

My surgery for endometriosis is in just two days, and to be honest, I should probably be more nervous than I am currently. Perhaps it will hit me the morning of when I smell that distinct hospital odor, maybe it won't even hit me until I'm being injected with anesthesia. Quite honestly, I might not be as nervous as I thought I'd be. Why you may ask? It's all because of others' willingness to be open, that I know I'll be okay.

When I first started tweeting and writing about my endometriosis, I first did the comforting to other women, asking me if their period symptoms were 'normal,' or if they should consider seeing a doctor themselves. To be honest, this made me the happiest I could have been. All I wanted was to spread awareness of endometriosis and make sure nobody else was suffering in silence. What I didn't know, is I would be comforted too.

On the flip side, I had other women messaging and calling me that informed me they had endometriosis themselves. I cannot tell you how relieving it is to have people reach out to you and tell you that you're going to be okay because they've been right where you have.

Hearing other women tell me about their journey with endometriosis and how similar we are has relieved me immensely. I truly cannot take enough time to thank every single person that has reached out to me and eased my worries, you have been instrumental in my journey with endometriosis, and it is because you are open, that I am not scared to undergo this surgery.

This journey has only allowed me the ability to be even more open with my life, I truly want to put myself out into the universe, for the slim chance that someone out there might just need to hear exactly what I have to say. And I completely understand, being open and vulnerable is a scary thing. Simply know that you're not alone, and you are guaranteed to have others with a similar story that you have. Take a leap and be open, you might just be writing or saying the exact words someone else has been dying to hear.

Spread love, be open, and take the dive, I promise you it's worth it.