I'm Not "Daddy's Little Girl"

I'm Not "Daddy's Little Girl"

But I am my father's daughter.

179
I'm Not "Daddy's Little Girl"
Sydney Davis

I'm not daddy's little girl. I never have been and I probably never will be. That's just not the relationship that my dad and I share. There was a time in my life when my dad and I were super close, but it wasn't the type of father-daughter relationship that most people have. We bonded over basketball and guitar, the things that he enjoyed to do, and that I tried hard to enjoy too. He was the assistant coach of my elementary school basketball team and he taught me the basic chords on the guitar. Bonding over these things was fun, but they didn't last. Eventually I grew out of those hobbies. I became more girly, and as I was going through puberty, my dad and I lost touch on how to communicate with one another. I was a teenage girl and we spoke completely different languages. The only way we knew how to communicate was to pick fights with one another. It drove my mom nuts, but my dad and I both knew that we had to just fight it out and everything would be fine. Most of my personality traits I developed from my dad, which made the fighting even worse. We are both stubborn and sarcastic, and we both have these certain tones in our voices that make it sound like we're angry when really we're just talking normally.

While I have these traits that caused us to fight constantly, I also inherited some of the best traits from him. Just like him, I care with my whole heart. I get caught up on one thing and obsess over it until I can find a solution. I worry about things even if they are out of my control. We are both strong-willed and fight for what we believe in. I am proud to be his daughter and to have his qualities, good and bad.

Now that I am entering adulthood, and I'm sure that not living at home helps, my dad and I are developing an amazing relatiohip. We are starting to speak the same language and aren't fighting as much. As I am becoming who I am supposed to be, I am blessed to have inherited all of these traits from my dad. I wouldn't change the relationship that I have with my dad for anything. I may not be my daddy's little girl, but I am my fathers daughter, and I will cherish our relationship for the rest of my life.