I'm In My 20's And Doing Just Fine

I'm In My 20's And Doing Just Fine

What does it all mean?

17
I'm In My 20's And Doing Just Fine
Tumblr.com

Your friend just graduated from college and you’re still finishing up classes. Another one of them got a big person job while you’re still working in a restaurant. Your cousin got engaged and you’re still buying your own drinks at the bar. You think to yourself, “What does it all mean?” Well, I’m here to tell you it means nothing.

As a society, we have evolved into this thought process where we believe we’re only as good as the person next to us or that we are products of our environment. As a twenty-something-year-old you’re mature enough to realize that isn’t true, and it’s time to rid yourself of those thoughts. Just because your sister went to medical school at 23 doesn’t mean you’re less of a person because you’re taking your time.

You may be a free bird and you should feel welcome to live that way. Completing your 20s doesn't entail marriage or children on the way. If you're happy and you know your life is going somewhere screw everyone else's opinions.

Everyone takes life at their own pace and whether it’s a sprint, a jog, a stride or a slow and steady walk stop trying to catch up to the kid on the treadmill next to you. You don’t know whether that person has been training for a marathon their entire lives.

Here are the five and a half ways you know you’re on the right track in your 20s.

1. You’re alive.

Okay, this has to be the easiest one to pat yourself on the back for. You’re living alone in a college town without adult supervision, the campus is filled with alcohol and drugs and you’re still alive. Congratulations, you’re doing a damn good job even if your refrigerator is full of rotting milk.

It’s demanding to immediately leave your parent’s home after high school and fend for yourself. Society doesn’t realize that when we left, we were still babies. As an 18-year-old I couldn’t tell a hangover from the flu, but here I am alive and well, and I did it…almost all by myself. Thank you to the medical professionals at my university clinic. You’re the real MVPs.

BONUS: Your animal is alive.

If you have a pet and it’s doing splendidly, extra kudos to you.

2. You have a job.

You’re making money! Whether it’s a paycheck from bagging groceries or a handful of singles and change from bar tending, you’re putting money in the bank and holding a job. Maybe it won’t be a defining line on your resume, but it shows you’re dependable.

Part of growing up and being an adult is learning the value of a dollar and using this knowledge wisely. You may be calculating how much cash you can take out for drinks Friday night, but your bills are paid and that extra money is yours to do with as you please. Take the extra few dollars out, after all, you’re going back to work tomorrow to make more.

3. You have ideas.

The first step in making something happen is thinking it up first. You can’t get into a career without first having the idea that you want one and in which field that may be. You may be behind a few credit hours but that’s okay. Take your time.

People who rush to decide on a major find themselves regretful and puzzled senior year. Not only do they hate what they’re doing and feel wasteful of money and time, but they also question who they are. If you need that extra semester or even a semester off, take it. Nobody is going to judge you for pacing yourself. You’ll be more experienced with five years than with four.

4. You’re not failing.

If you ask any hiring professionals, one of the most annoying things about a resume is the emphasis on a college GPA. I’m not saying go ahead and just barely pass your classes, but I am saying chill out on wanting to see all As and sobbing if you don't get them.

When you present yourself for a job interview the topic of your GPA may come up, but it’s not going to make or break your potential. Employers understand that some students have to take classes while working, interning and being involved in extracurricular activities like student organizations or Greek life to build up a resume. You’re not failing your classes so I promise, you’re doing just fine.

5. Things are in your name.

Do you pay your phone bill? What about your car payment? Do you pay $30 a month on a credit card in your name? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you’re a winner. Your credit score is important for buying or leasing a car or home, renting and even getting a job. Some employers look at credit scores before a hire is complete.

Building your credit score is one of the most important things to do to better your future. If you think that all your credit score will determine is whether or not you can get a motorcycle for cheap, then you are not doing your 20's the right way.