I'm Giving Up Makeup For Lent And Honestly, I'm Terrified

No pain, no gain.

500
The Beauty Radar / Instagram

In many Christian faiths, Lent is a religious observance of self-denial in which many Christians fast and give up certain luxuries between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. As one article explains it, this is done to "replicate the sacrifice of Jesus Christ's journey into the desert for 40 days" and to bring us closer to God.

While my particular faith does not observe fasting, I do choose to give up a luxury during the Lent season. This year, I've chosen to give up doing my makeup for 40 days.

Those of you who know me may be shocked. It's been part of my morning routine since I was 15 to do a full face of makeup every day. It's not that I'm uncomfortable with my natural face, I just enjoy the fun of putting on makeup and experimenting with different looks. It's not uncommon for me to rock black lipstick or purple mascara on any given day.

If you don't give up something that you're attached to, then you really haven't done what Lent is asking of you. In order to get through Lent, you need to lean on God. But if you give up something easy, you don't really need to lean on God any more than you already do.

I'm also excited to show my bare face more. I don't mind going a day or two without makeup, but I'm scared to go without it for a whole 40 days. People make certain assumptions about me based on what's on my face, so it will be interesting (if not terrifying) to see how people react to my natural face, pimples and all.

So hopefully this experience will bring me closer to God (something I've been struggling with lately) and learn to be more comfortable in my own skin.

I'll be documenting some pictures on my Twitter, so if you'd like, feel free to follow me at @KelseyA_Jackson.