I’m Awful At Golf, Yet I Keep Playing

I’m Awful At Golf, Yet I Keep Playing

Many people find it hard to pick up golf, but they always return for more.

130
I’m Awful At Golf, Yet I Keep Playing
Photo by Igor Ovsyannykov on Unsplash

The other day I found myself on the driving range at the Weekapaug Golf Club, the club to which my family belongs. I had one goal for the summer: get better so I can hit the links regularly. So, positioned next to a fellow golfer I began to take some hacks with my driver. I was hitting those bright, neon balls about 150 to 200 yards. However, the guy next to me was consistently clobbering the ball 200 yards, and the best part, he was using his wood club. After seeing his ball bounce faintly in the distance I packed up my clubs and vacated the course, saving myself any further embarrassment. As I strutted sluggishly to my car, I pondered why I continue to return to the course to get better.

I remember my grandfather and my dad taking me golfing when I was younger, and although I didn’t play every hole, or even play well, I had a great time traversing the course with my dad and grandpa. It was an escape, in the simplest of terms. I was pretty young when I first played, but in the times I’ve played since then, I always find my mind at ease from the intricacies and troubles of life. I often get lost in the green hills, streaking fairways, and bluish green ponds. For a brief 9-hole game, all the worries in life seem to dissipate, and fade away into the greenery.

In addition to the escape that a good golf course provides, it’s a life sport. By life sport I mean that golf is a sport that you can constantly get better at, no matter how many times you have to watch people drive a ball farther than you with a significantly less potent club. As frustrating as it is, getting better just takes repetition, like any other sport. Intriguing conversations can occur over golf, as well as networking. Who knows, maybe your next job interview will be held over a round of golf. You certainly don’t want to be slicing the ball during that outing.

Golf is a sport that can be played your entire life, with multiple people, and people with various skill levels. There are so many exciting factors that make the game interesting; you will always return for more no matter how flustered you might become. We’ve all had that one-day where we just can’t lift the ball out of the stubborn, stark sand trap. The best thing about golf is you can come back and play the hole again for redemption. Skills can always develop; bonds will always be strengthened between players, and depending on your life off the course, the ever-changing colors of the foliage and scenery will always offer a getaway for the tumultuous tale that is life. Next time you feel like leaving because you’re hooking the driving range balls into the neighboring fairway, take a breath, and come back determined to get better. You never know where golf will take you.