I'm an Ambivert

I'm an Ambivert

All da chill

611

Have you ever had to take a personality test? One that determines whether or not you're an introvert or an extrovert? I have on multiple occasions. The last instance was during an RSO summit that was mandatory for executive members of student organizations. After taking the test, I found that I had equal answers for each personality type, which indicated that I was an ambivert (even though I had to pick one or the other; there was no section for ambiverts). What is an ambivert, you ask? Well, ambiverts are people who balance characteristics of both introverts and extroverts. Figuring this out really helped me understand my personality better. Plus, it gave me plenty of material to joke about when someone would inquire about my ambivertness (because hardly anyone had heard of there being a mix of the two personality types). But thanks to my college roommate, I now know how to explain my chill attitude concerning everything.

1. I don't always like to start conversations

This is a very common trait for ambiverts. I used to think that it was just a "me" thing, but it makes sense since ambiverts can be reserved and outgoing at the same time. I feel more comfortable when others start a conversation because I like observing more than conversing, but it's good to try and create conversations at times because it helps develop communication skills (which is something that many potential employers look for). I won't deny that it is challenging for me to step out of my comfort zone for this particular quality, but it's something I'm hoping to improve on in the near future.

2. I'm comfortable meeting new people (even more so when I have friends around me)

Meeting new people helps us grow as human beings and exposes us to new opportunities and experiences. The one aspect of meeting new people that I really depend on is having someone familiar around me during these interactions. It lightens the mood and gives everyone a chance to take a break from asking questions and being put on the spot. This isn't always the actual case though. There are always occasions when we have to branch out and meet people on our own without back-up. It can be nerve-wracking, but it's worth it because you never know what a certain person can bring to your life.

3. I contribute to conversations when topics of interest surface, but I also like to sit and listen to others talk about other subjects

This is extremely true, and is also something that I am attempting to improve on since my quiet nature can be mistaken for rudeness occasionally. I'm a quiet person, always have been, and the people who know me also know this about me. There are people who are not as familiar with my mannerisms though, so I need to work on contributing more to conversations and pose questions to those who are attempting to get to know me. For instance, Batman is my favorite superhero and I can go on and on about the subject if it is brought up, but if the subject changes to a topic, such as OITNB (Orange is the New Black), which I have not seen, I will most likely listen to what is being said instead of contributing to the conversation. I enjoy listening and observing others when they are talking.

4. I'm very social, but sometimes I need some alone time to recover the energy that I used during said social time

This is where I become an introvert on some occasions. After going to a social event, such as a party or a large gathering, I often find that I need a few hours to myself because I have used so much energy being expressive and sociable. This is when I feel drained of energy and only rest and Netflix seem to cure that particular emotion. For the most part, I love being around people (spending extensive time by myself doesn't float my boat at all), but there are times when being alone is necessary to regain energy.

5. I don't like being alone for long periods of time

Like I stated in the previous point, being around people is most desired for myself. Currently, I spend most of the days during the week by myself, but on the weekends I spend immense time with my partner, which I thoroughly enjoy. If I could spend my weekdays with him, I would. Being alone isn't the easiest task sometimes; there are times when solitude can cause extreme emotional responses that can only be remedied by physical contact with others.

6. I detect the subtle hints

This isn't always the case, but most often it is. I can tell when there are hidden meanings behind words and actions (this applies to jokes and serious moments). This isn't a skill just applied to ambiverts though. Others, both introvert and extrovert, also have this ability (not everyone, but some people). I think my skills are best applied in person since texting can appear cryptic to almost everyone.

7. I'm very adaptable

There aren't a lot of situations that I feel out-of-place in due to the chill factor of my personality. I can be in fast-paced or slow-paced environments, I work well under pressure, I can multitask, and I work well with others (although, there are times when I can't handle the levels that stupid some people always seem to be on). I don't mind large or small gatherings either. That's the beauty of being adaptable.

8. I balance things very well

This characteristic was perfected during my time in college when I had to take multiple classes, focus on assignments, and work multiple jobs on a regular basis. Balancing and organizing was my life. There were times when I waited to do things at the last minute, like every college student, but I worked well under pressure, so it was manageable.

9. I consider the opinions of others, but also express my own thoughts

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but that doesn't always mean those opinions need to be voiced. I do consider those opinions that I do not agree with though. I give everyone respect whether they disagree with me or not. It's the decent thing to do, but there are times when people voice opinions that cause me to voice my own, which can be brutally honest concerning certain subjects.

10. I'm a very chill person

This aspect of my personality was brought to my attention when I started college. My roommate informed me that she was often astonished at how nothing bothered me. She finally discovered what did bother me our junior year, which was having my blankets on the floor (which is not unreasonable since floors are dirty and my blankets are sacred to me). I try not to let negative things affect me because I like having a positive outlook on life (even though things have been going to hell lately). I look for the good in people and I try to show others the good in me. I don't get upset easily and I find that having a sense of humor helps keep life positive.