Here's The Real Significance Of 'I'll Be Home For Christmas'

Join forces with our soldiers this holiday season.

739
US Department of Defense

In 1943 at the peak of World War II, Bing Crosby released the ever-popular “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” and stirred the hearts of war-time Americans on the Homefront and overseas. Over time, other vocalists recorded their version of this timeless classic, but no one quite measures up to Crosby’s beautiful rendition.

The lyrics of this Christmas classic come from the perspective of a World War II soldier with the longing to be home on Christmas day, and many credit Crosby for boosting the morale of the military because of the resonance they found within this evocative song. In the timeless classic originally penned by James 'Kim' Gannon, the universal longing for home is displayed.

Home. Few words parallel the pleasure and joy associated with this word of comfort. Our hearts long for home and family more during the Christmas season than anytime else in the year. Our hearts desire the familiar feeling of enjoying time in the presence of those we love. O

ur hearts ache for the keeping of age-old traditions as we sit under the glow of a Christmas tree, but coming home for Christmas is not a reality for many.

“I’ll Be Home for Christmas” reflects the sometimes unattainable desire to come home as the song ends with a mournful phrase: “I’ll be home for Christmas / if only in my dreams…”

The next time I hear this Christmas song, I will think of those spending Christmas in camouflage and combat boots. Remember our soldiers (and their families) this Christmas who celebrate their Christmases overseas so we can celebrate ours in safety. Remember those who celebrate Christmas an ocean away from their loved ones because there really is no place like home for the holidays.

This Christmas, I am especially thankful for the men and women who spend their Christmas in war so we may spend ours in peace.

To support our troops and help them feel a little closer to home this Christmas season, consider sending a care package or letter to a soldier overseas: https://supportourtroops.org/care-packages

Sources:

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/blog/the-story-of-i...

http://www.christmascarnivals.com/christmas-histor...