If You Feel Like You Lack A Purpose, Read This

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

33
“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Recognize this quote? Pulled from "The Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R Tolkien, this little exchange occurs as Gandalf explains the history of the Ring to Frodo. The "it" to which Frodo is referring to in the first section references Gollum's finding of the Ring as well as the return of Sauron.

Not only is Gandalf's wisdom encouraging and motivating, it also serves as a challenge to Frodo. A challenge to be purposeful and rise above the hurdles he is encountering in his life.

If you aren't a Lord of The Rings junkie or haven't read the books/seen the movies in a little while, here's a quick refresher on the main plot points as they relate to the purpose of this article...

Frodo and Sam are two hobbits that band together to bring the Ring back to Mount Doom, where it was originally created, to destroy it.

The Ring was forged by Sauron at Mount Doom, which is why this is where it must be destroyed. It is the last remnant of Sauron.

The Ring is very, very powerful. When worn, the Ring will turn the one wearing it invisible - but this reveals that person's location to Sauron's demons that seek to kill and destroy. And there is another downfall to the Ring: the more you wear and carry it, the more you want it. It begins to possess and control you.

In this excerpt, Frodo is sad and discouraged that the Ring is his burden - that it must be destroyed in "his time", and that it is his responsibility. Partly because he is so attached to it, but also because it is nearly impossible to destroy.

In the end, Frodo and Sam bring the Ring to Mount Doom together. Gollum has followed them throughout their journey, attempting to steal the Ring back along the way.

Frodo hesitates in destroying the Ring because he allows it distract him and draw him back in. In short summary, Gollum ends up diving after the Ring. He and the Ring both fall into Mount Doom, gone forever.

So, why exactly does all of this matter? What does it have to do with me and finding purpose in my life?

Well, that's just it. Many times, a purpose will be placed in our lives. A purpose for the day, a purpose for the week, or a purpose for that season. Maybe even a purpose for our life often referred to as our "calling". It could be a little purpose or it could be something much bigger, that will unfold and revealed over time.

But, we are often resistant. I am often resistant.

I am resistant when I feel as though how I have (or have not) been gifted isn't adequately fulfilling the purpose that I think my life should have. I am resistant when things don't unfold they way I planned them. I am resistant when my purpose doesn't align with GOD'S purpose. I am resistant when...the list goes on and on.

What do all of those resistances have in common? They are all fueled by inward, self-focused purposes. And when my self-focused purpose doesn't align with the Lord's perfect purpose for my life, I dive head first into the lie that my life has no clear purpose or direction. Because I am centered on self, I'm unable to find my purpose in Christ. It is simply impossible to see clearly where the Lord is calling me.

It isn't that my life is lacking purpose, it's that my purpose is lacking Christ.

Every single time Frodo slips the Ring on, he is pulled further away from his goal of destroying it and allows Gollum to tempt and deceive him.

When I put on the "ring of self" (stay with me where), I reveal my location to the enemy. That gives him the green light to follow me on my journey and distract me from my goal. And the longer I wear this ring, the more I lose sight of the purpose of my life. I begin to believe that the Lord does not have a plan for me...that I have been forgotten. In reality, He is waiting with an outstretched hand to help me up and spur me on to follow the wonderful purpose and plan He has for my life.

But Frodo didn't take on his purpose alone. He didn't make the long trek and evade many obstacles all alone. His faithful friend and loyal companion, Sam, stood alongside him through it all. When Frodo became caught up in the Ring, Sam was there to encourage and direct him back to the ultimate goal and purpose of his life at that point in time.

Who is the "Sam" in your life? How do they encourage and help you? Tell them that! Seriously! Let them know how much you appreciate them and their encouragement - remind them that you truly do want them to always point you back to find your purpose.

Have you been avoiding the very place that you know you're called? Have you allowed the "ring" in your life to distract you and caused you to feel a lack of purpose in your daily life?

How are you going to fight that today and take off your "ring"? Pick up the phone and call/text the "Sam" in your life right now! Let them know that you want to fight to remove the "ring" in your life and be drawn back to the Lord and His purpose for your life. Invite them in to be a part of that and hold you accountable. In turn, ask them if they would like to do the same.

We are all given a purpose, a time here on this earth. As Gandalf said, all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.