If You're Going To Swear, Swear Well

If You're Going To Swear, Swear Well

Things to think about before you drop the next one.
20

People today throw around the f-bomb like candy in a parade. Picture your least favorite kind of sweet treat. Now throw it at someone. This is what swearing is, throwing disgusting words at other people. Now this isn’t to say that I haven’t wanted to do this before, because trust me, no matter who you are, a few choice words cross your mind when someone cuts you off while you`re driving and almost makes you swerve into the curb or car next to you. In today's society it's almost encouraged, and if you don't use them every now and again, you`re the oddball.

This isn’t to say that anyone who uses them is a terrible human being, because they aren’t. This isn’t to say that swearing is something we need to completely cut out of our lives, although it wouldn’t hurt. Why people think it is okay to go around using them in every situation they are in is mind-boggling. People will ask me to say b**** or s*** or a multitude of other cute little curse words and each time my response is a no with a tight smile and shake of the head. This is followed by a "please, just once" and then laughed off by yours truly as I move on to other conversation.

In all honesty, it kind of makes other people doubt your intelligence. Your vocabulary is constantly expanding. You're incorporating new terms and phrases to use later on. When someone swears every other word in a sentence, it makes me wonder why they don’t substitute more descriptive words. It's baffling to me. It's hard not to question a person's intelligence when they say the same six words over and over. I just think there are so many other ways to voice your disgust. Some people say it adds character, but how much character can one actually gain from about six words?

I do not swear. I think that curse words are ugly sounding and are overused by people to make themselves sound like they’re “so cool”. Some people say that they are empowering. Sure, they can make someone feel big and bad at first, but as soon as a woman starts swearing too much they are considered to have a bad mouth. I don`t think it`s fair to call women out on their word choices and let men say what they please. No matter the gender, no matter who`s mouth it comes out of, a swear word is a swear word. I will admit at times I want to just let loose and throw out all the fun collections of these words I have in my mind, but I don`t. Some people think that it`s bad for your mental and emotional health, but it`s better than emotionally and mentally harming someone else.

I don’t understand why it’s necessary to be talking about an adorable puppy and call it “f****** cute” or say that you’re “so f****** annoyed right now”. Well, you know what? So am I. I’m really annoyed by the fact that you had to insert an extra, completely unnecessary word into that sentence, just because you think it makes your situation sound so much worse. I’m annoyed because you’re using the term in a situation where it really isn’t necessary. You want to go f*** the cute dog? Is that what you want? No. Well, at least I hope you don`t.

If I were to go out today and drop a couple of these lovely phrases, everyone would look at me like the world was ending, and that’s the kind of impact they should have. They should make people stop dead in their tracks, make their jaw drop, and have them a little worried about what’s coming next. They should make a person reconsider what they’re doing and decide if it’s worth it. They should call attention to a specific situation that is worth that “wait, what??” and not an everyday, run of the mill conversation. Use them sparingly and make sure that if and when you do, they mean something. Make sure they make a difference rather than fill the spaces between your thoughts.