If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em

Apparently, we have all declared ourselves stupid by writing for Odyssey, but somehow, I think we're all okay with that.

14
If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em
Odyssey

Recently, an Odyssey article titled "3 Reasons Brock Turner Shouldn't Have Gone To Jail" was shared on my Facebook feed with a comment about how enraging that particular article is. I agree. Brock Turner absolutely should have gone to jail, and for much longer than he actually did. As someone who actually likes to read the articles that show up on my feed, I clicked the link and prepared myself to read something I would disagree with on all levels. Unfortunately, the link led me to an error page and I couldn't read it. Naturally, I started scrolling through the comments to get a taste of the article and what other people thought. Besides the article itself, what really jumped out at me was the very first comment. It read "I can't handle any article on that website... I think being an idiot is a requirement."

As both a student and a writer, I constantly have to be aware of what I say and post on social media. I have learned that it is better to hold my tongue when I'm angry or offended, instead of saying something that could get me into trouble. In this case, I have decided to share with all of you how I feel about this particular comment. Let's take a look at the first part: "I can't handle any article on that website." If you can't handle a single article on the website, please don't even bother looking at any of them. It's not our fault that every single article published causes you distress. As for the "I think being an idiot is required," half of the comment...hm. Well, I'd like to apologize on behalf of all content creators of Odyssey for being an idiot. I'm sorry that I decided to write for a social media platform that allows people my age a place to share their thoughts and opinions and let their voice be heard. Apparently, we have all declared ourselves stupid by writing for Odyssey, but somehow, I think we're all okay with that.

I am focusing on this particular comment because the opportunity for an article fell into my lap with this, but this is not the only time I've seen people on social media bash Odyssey and its creators. As the EIC of my community, I do not always agree with content written by members of my team, but I do not criticize them or reject their articles out of spite for them or their content. If I ever feel so strongly about any article, I would tastefully write a counter article. I would not comment ignorant things on their article or bash the name and reputation of Odyssey in general. I find that to be immature and unnecessary. If you, as a reader, care so much as to comment mean things, then why don't you write your own article? I'd love to read your opinions in a well thought out, well-written article instead of a one line comment on someone else's article that shows you have no real interest in us other than calling us names. Because I am an editor in chief, I am going to take advantage of this opportunity to invite you all to request an invite to join your Odyssey community. Use this link. Join us! Let your voice be heard in a positive way, as opposed to an elementary style comment. Request an invite today!