If You Are Mad About 600 Dollar Stimulus Checks, Have The Same Anger For The Disabled

With news of stimulus checks worth 600 dollars coming, many Americans are upset, thinking it is not enough money to live off of, and how other countries were getting more.

Obviously in this pandemic people have been struggling, with lost jobs, hard to find employment, even some people having to leave their jobs due to health conditions to which them getting covid could kill them.

Well, 600 a month is what a disabled person is expected to live on with disability, yes only 600 sometimes it's even less or more depending on your living situation. But how can the government expect people like me to live on disability?

Oh and we can't have more than 2,000 in assets otherwise we risk losing those benefits this is a way outdated rule, that may have been okay for the 1960s, but not okay for the 2020s, the limit needs to be at least 20,000, the cost of living has gone up a lot since then.

Some people have asked,"'why can't they just get a job?"

If only it were that easy. I would love to work, I would love to be paid to write, I apply every day and still continue to do so,

In 2019, 30.9 percent of disabled people were employed, compared to 74.6 percent of those without a disability. People have no choice but to get SSI in order to live, why? Because employers don't seem to be willing to hire them, some might be unwilling to accommodate the individual or they don't want to be held liable if something happens to them.

Employers, please give people with disabilities a chance if they are able to work and they really want to give them a chance, they are more capable than you think, and don't give them few hours too, they need to make a living.

And what about the people whose disabilities prevent them from working any kind of job? Are they just supposed to starve and die?

How are people expected to live on 600 a month when the cost of living is more than that, hearing aids cost $1,000 to $4,000, accessible vans aren't cheap, service dogs are at least $15,000, and that's just a few of the examples and insurance may or may not even cover it, and yet we are only allowed to have $2000 in assets. How ridiculous is that?

I want to make a call on Congress, a call for Joe Biden, a call for any kind of government to do something about it. Biden if you say that people with disabilities should have a seat at the table as you said in your victory speech, then increase the amount that we are allowed to have in our bank accounts, create more jobs for people who want to work and are able to, make living affordable for those who are unable to work, make remote working an option for those who want to work from home.

Let 2021 be the year we help people with disabilities, we are people too and we deserve to have good lives.