If LinkedIn Stresses You Out Sometimes, Too, You're Not Alone

Do you get overwhelmed looking through your LinkedIn feed sometimes like I do? Here is a letter to you.

23
Hello I'm Nik 🎞 on Unsplash

Dear Fellow LinkedIn User,

I'm sure we can all agree that LinkedIn is a phenomenal recourse. I find it fascinating how quickly you can find people who have similar career goals and paths. There are so many great ways to benefit from LinkedIn.

While I utilize all of LinkedIn's incredible features, as a junior in college during the pandemic, the app can feel overwhelming at times.

I start comparing. "How do they have so much work experience?" and, "They have a summer internship already?"

While these questions seem to consume my nervous brain, I cannot let it hinder or discourage me. So, here are my thoughts.

I remind myself that everyone on LinkedIn has their own individual path, and everyone is trying to go about the working world as it best suits them.

LinkedIn is not meant to be a competition. Yes, someone that I follow in the business field may have gotten a summer internship already. But, many job postings for the journalism field haven't been posted yet.

Everyone is at their own pace. Just because they got a position, it does not mean you won't either!

I learned to be happy for others. Yes, I am still searching for a summer internship. But, arguably one of the best ways to get ahead in this world is to build connections and support others.

I know that the benefits of LinkedIn outweigh the occasional stresses of it. While I try not to spend too much time on my LinkedIn feed, I frequently use it to network with alumni, reach out to interested companies, educate myself on my desired field, and support my peers.

Hold your head high. Continue to pursue your goals, even if you convince yourself others are more ahead of you.

Keep in mind that everyone wants to show their best selves on any app, including LinkedIn.

Don't let it intimidate you, and don't be shy to be proud of your individual successes.