I Wore A Biden Mask In Public And The First Person I Saw Spat On Me

Only in Cleveland, and during a pandemic. Really?

70

In such a volatile political climate, I knew that I might face some people who would say something about it

Whether it would be in support of the message or against it, I wouldn't mind at all. I am all for the First Amendment, so it wouldn't bother me

When things get physical and personal on a level of spit, though, that's where the line gets crossed

I was headed to a Halloween store with my roommate since I needed a costume for a little get-together I was going to on Halloween night. I decided to wear my "Biden for President" mask that I had just gotten at the mall about a week earlier because it was less than a week from the election, and why not? I stepped out of the car and started walking towards the storefront. As I did there were four people walking out. Two guys and two girls, all walking together. The one who was ahead in the group looked over to me. I heard him scoff, and when we passed each other he spat at me and it landed on my neck. It took every bone in my body not to hit him. His friend said "Trump 2020" in my face and the four of them walked away. The rest of the night went fine after I calmed down. My roommate and I got a mixture of odd looks and compliments as we browsed, bought our things, and left.

In an election with so much at stake, I can say for a fact that I am WAY more than

anxious to know the result

I am going to support my candidate to the end because I believe my future and the future of the ones I love depends on it. While living under this administration, I have been appalled at every turn by the ignorance displayed in the oval office. It has made me sick. Physically sick. But I will not stand for it. I have spoken out. I have protested. I have donated to different organizations and campaigns, and I have worn my opinions on my sleeve. I will never apologize for looking out for our country's best interests. I will never apologize for anti-racism. I will never apologize for my vision. Words of the opposition designed to instill fear in me may unsettle me, but those words will not change my mind. They will not sway me. I have been threatened physically for my beliefs and activism throughout my teenage years. Anything from brass knuckles to guns has been used by people with opposing opinions to threaten me and force me to the other side. I have stood up to them and have stayed grounded in my morals. I always will.

To the man who spat on me outside the North Olmsted location of Spirit Halloween-

you did not change my mind.

I have my opinion and you have yours. As Americans, we have the inalienable right to that. Just because you disagree with me does not give you any reason or right, both morally and physically, to do that. The next time you decide to spit on someone during a pandemic, do not be surprised if you're missing a few teeth in the moments following. I was restrained. Others may not be so kind.