I Went To L.A Comic-Con: Here’s My Takeaway

And yes, Steve Burns is as lovely in person as you’d expect. Meeting him was the most beautiful bow on my childhood.

29
Hailey Hastings

Listen, I’m not going to say that before coming to L.A Comic-Con I wasn’t the biggest fan of conventions, but I always felt out of place at them. And I guess I just hadn’t been to the right convention, because I felt more accepted and included in the weekend I spent wandering around that convention center than I have ever felt at any event. I have so many aspects of the convention that I am fully ready to gush about, but first I just have to encourage anyone reading this, you have to go to L.A Comic-Con next year! This event is so clearly put together by a team that cares about fans, talent, press, vendors, all of the above.

Getting My Badge/Getting Into the Convention

Rooster Teeth Off Topic GIF by Achievement HunterGiphy

Truly, the staff both in person at the event and online before-hand couldn’t have made checking in as press a more seamless experience. The lines moved smoothly, security was a breeze, and everyone at the badge pickup stations was friendly and ready to answer any questions I had, I left the check-in station feeling completely at ease and like I was fully prepared to tackle the convention.

The Vendors (and woman where there a lot)

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The OfficeGiphy

I spent over one hundred dollars on the most random merchandise themed around ‘The Office’ at this incredible booth called ‘The Office Pop-up.’ I made friends with this wonderful author who was there selling her books with her son, got to see my friend Stephen Glickman at his booth, and all in all, the vendor hall was my favorite place to be all weekend. I feel like this is the spot where my favorite interactions with other fans happened, getting to see all the outfits, getting to see how creative and talented all these small business owners are, and of course, getting to take all the photos at the Nightmare Before Christmas set up at the hot topic booth.

Panels!

lord of the rings GIFGiphy

‘Lord of the Rings’ is a new love of mine, but a strong one nonetheless. Getting to sit and watch Elijah Wood and Sean Astin talk about these films and their impact while watching the impact in real time on people's faces, was a life highlight for me. The energy in that room was par none. This was my favorite panel of the weekend, maybe challenged by the Steve Burns Q&A. If you want to talk about an energy that just felt wholesome, the audience at the Steve Burns's panel was just pure good vibes. Steve was crucial in my childhood. He always felt like a friend, and that feeling came flooding back as I teared up watching him on stage.

I could honestly keep you here all day, both talking about all the panels I went to and gushing about Steve Burns.

Photo-ops & Autograph Halls

david henrie image GIFGiphy

I have done my fair share of convention-style meet and greets, in various forms, and I have to give L.A Comic-Con their flowers because while watching the lines and stopping to talk to guests as they left the meet and greets, these seemed to be the most smooth sailing photo-ops and autographs I’ve seen play out.

Getting to talk to people after they met meeting people they love filled my heart with so much joy. Especially watching people leave the Steve Burns or LOTR meet and greet. I saw people full crying, smiling ear-to-ear, and just in the best moods. One of my favorite moments that occurred while being in the autograph hall was walking in to talk to some fans as they left lines and seeing David Henrie, who you may know from the hit Disney Channel Show Wizards of Waverly Place. There must have been a pure unadulterated joy on my face when I saw him because he immediately recognized that on my face and didn't have anyone in line so he let me come say hi, which he did not have to do, and was very lovely.

L.A. Comic-Con has set the bar super high for me as far as conventions go, I can't wait to attend my next convention as press (Emerald City Comic-Con in Seattle in March).

Contact Me:

Instagram

Twitter

Email: underpnksiess@gmail.com for Interview/Press opportunities.