Insatiable Is More Annoying Than Controversial

I Watched Netflix’s Insatiable And Didn’t Hate It

The show is more annoying than controversial to be honest

312
Instagram

Even before the Netflix Original Insatiable was released, there were already thousands of petition signers wanting the termination of the show before it aired due to the controversial backstory of the protagonist. The main protagonist, Patty is a once-obese-turned-beauty-queen who seeks revenge out of everyone who has wronged her when she was fat (i.e. bullying). From this light synopsis and by watching the trailer for the show, you can instantly tell where the criticisms come from, which are not to say that they are not valid.

For one, Debby Ryan (who plays "Patty") is wearing a fat suit when portraying her character's fat counterpart. Although fat suits are nothing new (having appeared in other shows like Friends), the most controversial aspect seen through the show's trailer is that the character's life seems to instantly get better once she gets punched in the face, thus breaking her jaw and limiting her to an all liquid food diet. And also making her and instantly skinny queen. Who also seems obsessed with herself and thinks that with her new bod, she can start reeking revenge on those who bullied her.

If you haven't watched the show yet, let me just say that it is extremely satirical and pushes the viewer's boundaries (a good or bad thing depending on the audience). Its humor is different, meaning that if you take extreme offense to things, don't even think of watching it. Honestly, if the majority of TV that you watch is TV-14 (not that it's a bad thing there are plenty of TV-14 shows that are okay)...just maybe don't watch it?

Insatiable is more annoying than controversial. From the get-go, you know that you're not really going to like any of the characters, especially Patty Bladell. All the characters all seem to operate from their Id-- acting on their wants and pretty much-ignoring everyone else, thus hurting people along the way.

The one great thing from this show that I genuinely enjoyed (and probably why I kept watching) was the amount of LGBTQ representation. And not in the sense of "here's-your-one-gay-character-who-will-be-featured-for-comedic-effect" but as individuals who actually have lives outside of Patty's (or are attempting to in one case). There isn't an LGBTQ individual who's there to serve solely as representation, but they're there just because they're there. These characters' are in the show just as LGBTQ people are present in real life. They're just there. It is a part of their identity, but it is not what makes their identity. There is even the potential for a polyamorous relationship between three major characters, a subject that many from both the cis and LGBTQ community are uneducated and oblivious to. The one downfall in this portrayal was how even this show portrayed these 3 individuals were not able to work out their relationship (but having nothing to do with the sex).

So to all those individuals writing show reviews on how you watched the entirety of Insatiable and wished you had not or watched it and are now "worse for it" maybe watching the entire show would help, or make it seem like you have (because honestly, it seems like you missed some extreme plot points in there).

Overall, the show is more annoying than controversial. All shows have their controversial aspects to it, and although some blow it out of proportion, this is not the case with

Insatiable. Just don't expect to fall in love with the characters because you're probably going to hate them all at some point.