Demi needs strength and love, I stand with her

I Still Stand With Demi

In the midst of Demi's recent overdose, no matter the case, I stand with her.

33
I Still Stand With Demi
Jenna Reed

About 21.5 million people battle with substance abuse. Some of the world's most beloved celebrities have been lost to drug overdose including Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Elvis Presley, and so many more souls who changed so much for different industries such as music, movies, and more.

On July 24th, it hit the media that 25-year-old singer, Demi Lovato was hospitalized for an apparent heroin overdose. The star who has struggled with drug addiction in the past, announced six years of sobriety in March of this year. Her documentary, Simply Complicated, was released on YouTube in October of 2017 and has since gotten over 18 million views. SC covers Demi's childhood and rise to stardom but it also covers the dark and twisty topics of her struggle with not only drugs and alcohol but also with bulimia and bipolar disorder.

There has been immense support for the singer during this difficult time including loving tweets Ellen Degeneres, Kehlani, Halsey, and Lady Gaga. I've seen the negative side of this news as well, but I personally am heartbroken for Demi. As a follower and fan of hers for over 10 years, I've followed her through her struggles and failures along with her rehabilitation and personal successes.

I've been completely in love with Demi's bubbly personality, amazing voice, and inspiring music since I was younger, and although I'm sad and disappointed that her sobriety has been broken down, this is a bump in the road that I know for a fact she will get through. Seeing the news of her hospitalization, my first thought was that she didn't make it, but to see that she did gave me a sense of relief. Her life matters so much, to me and to so many others.

I saw her in concert on her Tell Me You Love Me Tour in March. I sobbed along with most people in the crowd as she sang Warrior, reminding me of all I've been through to come out still standing on the other side of it. I smiled and screamed the lyrics to her songs along with my roommate and everyone in the room as she sang other songs like Sorry, Not Sorry and Tell Me You Love Me. I loved every minute of her show, and I will remain a Lovatic for the rest of my time.

This life is not easy, and to think that things like this don't happen to those who have struggled with drug addiction in the past, is a ridiculous thought. Recovery is a road not easily traveled. It is bumpy, steep, long, and can be a hell of a journey. But no matter the road ahead of her, I stand with Demi Lovato. To be broken down and hurt, to be sad and lonely, to have relapsed and recovered. All things can be done with strength and bravery. Stay strong and be brave, Demi.

We are all praying for recovery for you, and those who love you will constantly be with you during the long journey ahead.