For Someone Who's Not A Dancer, I Sure Miss Dancing

I know I have written about dance in the past, usually about belly dancing, but for those who don't know, I am in two different dance clubs at my college: belly dance circle and dance corps.

I joined belly dance circle as a freshman and dance corps as a sophomore. Both run for the full year and I enjoy both very much.

Prior to college, the most dancing I had done was, well, at parties, in one musical at my high school, and a tiny bit in the one season of winter guard I did. So when I joined these clubs, I pretty much had no clue what I was doing, but I figured I'd stick around because it was fun and it was exercise. And boy am I glad I stuck around.

Right now, I'm about in the middle of my summer break before my senior year of college (yikes, where did the past three years go??). I have a retail job but can otherwise relax, and all the free time I've had this week due to a light work week has had me thinking about how much I miss dancing. Also crying at the fact I still have two months left before I can get back to dancing.

I love listening to music and planning out dances to songs in my head even though I know I'll never do them because I don't know how to do or explain half the things I come up with. But either way, it gets me thinking about dancing and then I want to dance but really only can in my kitchen, and it's not a very big kitchen.

Which brings me to the part that sucks the most: not having the space in or near my house that's big enough or a good type of floor to even do simple things like turns or leaps. I have to admit it's driving me a little crazy.

Dance is so many things to me and I never expected it to mean so much or be as important as it is to me. I owe a lot of thanks and gratitude to my friend Alyssa, who teaches the dance class I take at school. Without having known her or without her teaching that class, I probably would have been too intimidated to join on my own.

Moral of the story is to try things even if you think you'll be bad at them. Because there's always room to grow and it's unlikely for you to get worse!