I Love My Major, and You Should Too

I Love My Major, and You Should Too

I love college and my major has a lot to do with it.

36
I Love My Major, and You Should Too

As I my second year in college starts rolling, my schedule is starting to consist mainly of COM classes. And let me tell you, I love it! If you aren't aware I am pursuing a bachelor of science in communication.

I knew I loved it when I walked into my first COM class COM 100 Introduction to Human Communication. My professor was this sweet woman from Texas, she was very approachable and that single handedly made me more confident in the class.

I have always been a talker ever since I was younger, I always that one kid in class who would be talking to someone. Because of all of that my parents suggest that when I came to college I should major in communication. I am positive they said it as a joke but my initial reaction was "you can major in that". And boy was I excited.

Eventually time came around where I had to start applying to colleges and had to pick a major. I bounced around from business to global studies and to even theatre at one point. Then I remembered that conversation with my parents and how they suggested I majored in communication because I am a "talker".

After that moment I realized, this is what I am supposed to do. There are some things that you know you have to do, and this was one of those moments. I knew that communication was right for me. I researched all about the kinds of careers that communication majors could have and it got me so hyped.

As of right now I really want to go into a career in public relations and media within the realm of theatre, preferably on broadway because New York. And I love New York.

For many of us we are either already in college or it is in our near future. Which then means we have to decide or commit to an area of study, that is not easy.

One way that really helped me figure out what I wanted to study is to do this exercise. I am not sure the name of it but start by drawing four circles on a piece of paper. In those four circles write the four most important things in your life right now. Then draw some lines coming out of the circle and write what makes you love them. From there just read everything you wrote and think for a bit.

After that go on websites such as youtube or google and look up careers or passions based on what you wrote in the exercise earlier. Watch a lot Ted Talks and advice videos on youtube, they will help a lot too!

The most important thing to remember is to study something you love. Something that makes you happy.