I Talked To A High School Teacher About Schools Reopening

I Talked To A High School Teacher About The Reopening Of Public Schools, And I'm Scared For Their Health

Why is the school board making decisions on issues that the community of students and staff have to deal with?

1298

I interviewed a former teacher of mine from my high school about the re-opening of schools despite the worldwide pandemic. He has always been a voice I looked to in times of turmoil, and since he was my former literature teacher, he was more than happy to shed some light on the current situation. This particular teacher has very bright ideas when it comes to protecting his students, as well as himself.

Writer's note: Out of courtesy, I have chosen to leave his name out of this interview.

Should schools reopen? 

Yes, but only 100 percent virtually. The school board moved to push the first day of school to the 24 of August to give more time to prepare for the possible risks involved with this many children attending an indoor, and already over-crowded, area.

How do you feel about the regulations being put in place for in-person reopening? 

I think some are enough [to lead to a safer environment] and others are just for show. Twenty-five kids in a classroom with four feet of space between desks [when social distancing guidelines require six feet], sanitizer in all rooms, masks for all, and new air filters for A/C are what's required.

How do you feel about the possibility of going completely virtual? 

We will pivot back to week four, tops.

What other concerns do you, as a teacher and a parent, have? 

I'm most worried about my health and my family's health, and then, of course, my students' health. We will also end up having too many disruptions that will affect the learning process of the students, leading to mental health issues of stopping and starting up again if we were to have outbreaks.

How could the school move forward with the opening of schools when their faculty is uncomfortable? Aren't they listening to their teachers? 

To be honest, I think they should have fans in every room to cause air turbulence and disrupt the flow of the virus. Hopefully, the air intakes will help with that [though]. Removing the fluorescent lights and [installing] UV would help kill the virus quicker.

Why is the school board making decisions on issues that the community of students and staff have to deal with? What good comes from pushing these students into an environment they may not be comfortable in and may soon transition to a virtual environment anyway? It's all very uncertain and unstable from the looks of it. Only time will tell, but my gratitude goes out to the teachers who continue to care for our youth, even if their lives are in jeopardy.