I Hate Weddings Part Two

I Hate Weddings Part Two

Part two to last week's short story.

19
I Hate Weddings Part Two
https://www.pexels.com/photo/bride-and-groom-walking-down-the-aisle-794254/

"Fake our deaths."
"What?" I wasn't sure I'd heard him correctly.
"Fake. Our. Deaths. We won't have to die, and you won't have to feel guilty. We'll be able to be together even if it's under different personas and you can get out of this, whatever it is you're in.
"No. No. I can't do that. Jared, I won't do that. It goes against everything."
"Then kill me. Right now. Put the gun to my chest or put a bullet in my skull, but kill me now with no hesitation. If you can do that, then you won't have to be guilty, and you won't ever have to see Brooke or me again. So do it. Pull the trigger," he was challenging me to go against my training. He was calling out my beliefs and trusting I would do the one thing he'd asked, but I couldn't. I couldn't go through that pain again.
I called Brooke over and made sure I was out of sight of any family members or wandering eyes.
"Jared just kissed me. I thought you should know," I did the unthinkable. No turning back.
Brooke spun to face Jared, and he looked shocked, "Jared, are you kidding me?! You can't keep it in your pants until the freaking honeymoon?!"
While Brooke and Jared were distracted with that problem, I pulled out my pistol with the sound suppressor attached. I watched as Jared slowly realized what was about to happen, but he wasn't fast enough to stop me. I aimed at Brooke's chest and pulled the trigger. She slumped to the floor, and I aimed the gun at Jared. I hesitated a millisecond and turned my face while pulling the trigger. I turned back to glance at their bodies slumped on the floor. I closed Brooke's eyes and followed suit with Jared. I linked their hands together and left out the exit door. This family would never see me again.
I got in my car and drove to the middle of nowhere. I glanced at myself in the rearview mirror. There were black streak marks going down my cheeks from my eyes. I didn't even realize I was crying. I knew what I had to do. I'd thought about this for so long.
I looked at myself in the mirror again, I don't even remember who I was before all this, and I bet that person wouldn't be able to recognize themselves now. I put the gun to my temple. Tears are freely flowing down my face. I don't want to die, but how can I live like this? I can't go to authorities because they'll just arrest me for the crimes I've committed. This is the only way. No one will remember me. I'm a ghost, and that's why I was so good at this job.

"They can't use me if I'm dead."

After that thought escaped my mouth into the void of existence, I pulled the trigger.