I Don't Understand.

I Don't Understand.

That's it. That's the tweet.

1
Hannah Rodriguez

I don't understand.

I don't understand how some people believe they are superior to others due to the fact that they have a different color skin. That society looked at them and all throughout history called them the "superior" race. I don't understand how some people don't see their privilege. Or won't.

I don't understand how some people can look at a couple and not see love. I don't understand how some people can look at parents and see sin. See nothing but "blasphemy." I don't understand how some people believe that others are not allowed to have the same rights as them. Not allowed to be married, not allowed to have a family, not allowed to live.

I don't understand how you can look at another human being and want to do them harm. Harm just because of who they are, what they look like, or who they love. I don't understand how you can look another human being — one with a heart and soul and ideas and a future — in the eye and want to inflict harm on them.

I don't understand how the fact that gender or gender identity somehow plays into a person's work ethic. That somehow because I have boobs and nothing swinging between my legs, I am suddenly a bitch for doing my job, or bossy for being a boss or power hungry for reaching for my goals. I don't understand how because I was born a woman I am automatically stamped with the seal of motherhood. Automatically signed, sealed, and delivered to the academy of housewives.

I don't understand how being bossy or power hungry is only a negative thing when you're a woman. When you're bossy and you're a man, you're a boss. When you're power hungry and you're a man, you're goal-oriented. I don't understand how a man sleeping around is met with high-fives and "good job" or "you go dude," but when a woman gets what she wants, she's wild. When a woman sleeps around, she's met with words like "whore," "slut," or "skank."

I don't understand how when a woman sleeps around, it's a secret. It is not projected at the top of her voice and she does this because she knows how it is perceived. She knows how others view her mistakes, achievements, failures, and goals. I don't understand where this training began. I don't understand when we stopped being proud of our work, no matter how lackluster or vulgar it may be, and began quieting ourselves.

I don't understand where along the way one kind of person took a backseat to another. I don't understand where along the way society decided we're not all equal. I don't understand where along the way we stopped loving others. I don't understand where along the way we went wrong.

I don't understand.