I Changed My Major At The End Of Junior Year And It Was The Best Decision For Me

I was the person who knew her major the day they applied for college. I went it with one major and never changed it, until junior year. I had become accustomed to the classes, people, and professors in my old major and I honestly loved every part of it, but I wasn't thriving. Here are all the reasons it is okay to change your major no matter the year.

1. It put me in the position to take hold of my future. 

My old major gave me a few opportunities, but with my new major my opportunities are endless. I have ample ways to be successful and more access to employers, internships, and stability.

2. It helped me understand what a career would look like. 

What I wanted to do never changed, just the words that will be on my diploma. This change allowed me to see that with my old major I would end up with more school and eventually just a job. With this major doors are open to a dream that I never thought could become a reality. It showed me that a job is not a career.

3. It gave me new faculty and peers. 

Even though I had been with my old major for three and a half years and loved the faculty and my peers I was not as close to them as I wanted to be. With the switch I went to a much smaller major that put me in classes with a lot of the same people and professors who were not overwhelmed with students.

4. It gave me the chance to be specific. 

A lot of times people change their majors because they aren't confident in what they want to do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but for some people we know what we want we just have to go a million different ways to get there. With a new set of faculty members I was able to say "this is what I want to do, how do I get there" and we were able to work out a plan that wouldn't take as long as I had imagined.