I Believe In Being Selfish

I Believe In Being Selfish

Yes, you read that right.

135
I Believe In Being Selfish

I believe in being selfish.

I believe in being selfish because, for years, I was not. I would drop anything anytime anyone asked me. I put others needs above my own. I constantly took away from my happiness in order to feed into other people's. At the time, I thought that was the right thing to do. I thought that's what good people did, but I was wrong. I simply got walked all over and let myself become less important and I realized that it was time to become selfish.

Now, I don't mean selfish as in "I don't care about other people" or "I don't have empathy for others." Because, believe me, that will never change. I will always have empathy. I will always care too much. But, I believe that I need to learn to be selfish and choose myself before I'm ever able to choose anybody ever again.

I believe in being selfish with who you spend your days with. I only have intentions of spending it with people who make me feel happy and free. People who make me belly laugh and forget to look at my phone. People who I know care about me just as much as I do them. People who would also drop anything for me.

I believe in being selfish with my time. I learned to say no to things that I really didn't want to do and I started to not concern myself with whether it hurt their feelings or not. I learned to spend my time doing things that made me happy and that I actually wanted to do, and that has made all the difference.

I learned that you can still care immensely about others and still be selfish, and I believe that this is the best way to be.

I believe in being selfish because I will never again put myself last.