The Hypocrisy In The Ryan Lochte Backlash

If lying is wrong for one public figure, it should be wrong for all public figures.

33
YouTube

American swimmer Ryan Lochte claimed he was robbed at gunpoint on the streets of Rio after a drunken night out with several other US swimmers. In reality, he vandalized a gas station and was confronted by security guards demanding that he pay for the damages. Lochte was caught "over exaggerating" his story and has faced backlash over it.

Huffington Post writers and editors automatically associated Lochte with Trump after the lie, claiming he must be a Trump supporter to do something that dumb. In reality, Lochte supported Obama in 2012.

Many of the liberals bashing Lochte over his lie argue that he needs to lose sponsors and be stripped of his medals because it is one thing to lie, but it is another thing to lie to the Olympic Committee when you are a well-known athlete. However, I would be willing to bet most of these liberals, for sure the Huffington Post writers, are supporting Hillary Clinton, who has been caught lying about far more important matters than what she did on a night out with her friends.

Hillary Clinton has lied about having classified e-mails on her private server, using only one device for communication, her connections on Wall Street, and the donations to her foundation, among other things. If an Olympic athlete is too important a figure to lie to the public, a Presidential candidate most certainly should be as well.

What Lochte did was wrong, and I think everyone can agree on that. He will face the consequences of his actions, as he should because he is a grown man who knew better. But the standard Lochte is being judged on should apply to anyone in a position of power or influence.

America, why are we holding a professional athlete - an entertainer, really - to a higher standard than a presidential candidate?