I Miss Raleigh: NC College Students Discuss Life In Quarantine

"I never imagined us getting to the point where we are today."

69
Paige Ryan

Mid-March 2020 was a whirlwind. Students went off to spring break...and then everything changed due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the remainder of the school year now completely online, college students are finding themselves back home. Most are not allowed to return to or be on their college campuses.

So how are college students in North Carolina handling the changes, and what do they think of the way NC Gov. Roy Cooper has acted? I got a panel of students together to discuss how they're coping and their hopes for the future.

Meet the panel:

Where are you spending quarantine? What's the vibe?

Regnal - I am spending my quarantine at home in Cary, NC. I would say the vibe is pretty chill now. It was hectic at first with lots of school work but things have settled down and know I am just spending lots of time with family, working out, and taking on playing music.

Gabriella - Cary, North Carolina. The vibe is pretty chill most of the time but definitely fluctuates at times as the cases of COVID-19 crisis surges and uncertainty looms.

Paige - I still live in Raleigh in an apartment I share with two other people. It was stressful at first when everything started changing and things were really uncertain, but now I've settled into a routine. I miss my friends but am happy to have a company at home.

How do you feel about Governor Roy Cooper's response to COVID-19?

Gabriella - I feel that the governor should have maybe started the stay-at-home order earlier, to help prevent even more cases from popping up, but I guess its all good now as this pandemic was something that was really unforeseeable.

Regnal - I feel like he is doing a good job relying on the data and facts from the professionals and taking precautionary steps in reopening the state. He's awaiting proper instructions and acting cautiously. While the economy is taking a steep dive and is in urgency to be restored, what's more, important is to make sure the statesmen and North Carolinians are safe, i.e the community is safe. So keeping note of that, I think he is doing his best as all the leaders around are doing during this unexpected pandemic. We can argue about how we could have acted sooner, but since its already here, we have to try to stop the spread, as not to escalate further potential danger.

Paige - Everything felt really last minute and rushed, which was frustrating. I think the main issues are the inconsistencies and confusing information. I think we just have to be understanding. There are so many people involved in lawmaking and the decision process. Although Roy Cooper is the face of it, he's not the only one making the decisions.

When did you start to realize that COVID-19 was serious and would affect your life?

Regnal - I started to realize this was serious when we were told we could not return back to school because it really showed me just how different my life was going to be for a while.

Gabriella - When the cases were increasing exponentially throughout the world (growing pandemic). Then with Italy and NY being hit hard (Bless those who had to suffer).

Paige - I never imagined us getting to the point where we are today. After living through other pandemics that didn't affect our daily lives to this degree, such as swine flu, bird flu, Ebola, I thought COVID-19 would be the same. I had plane tickets to travel and lots of plans for my birthday and friends' birthdays in April. After St. Patrick's Day, I realized there was going to be a change in our lives.

What do you miss most about being in Raleigh? If you live in Raleigh, what do you miss most about life here before quarantine?

Gabriella - I miss my friends the most! Not seeing any of them for a while has been hard, especially since some are graduating this semester.
Regnal - I'd say the spring weather around campus. The study help from TAs, friends, and other students.
Paige - I miss concerts so much! I miss being able to go out to restaurants and bars with my friends. It's been so weird because the people I live with and I all have birthdays in April, so I'm seeing pictures from us going out the years prior.

What's something you didn't realize you'd miss about Raleigh? If you live in Raleigh, what do you miss that you didn't think you would?

Gabriella - Being in a classroom! Because of course, going to school every day just seems like a pain. However, now I have a greater appreciation for the in-class discussions and one-on-one time with peers and professors.

Regnal - I'd say I miss the campus's Howling Cow Java Beans ice cream and music club (AMP) meetings.

Paige - I mean, I don't miss the traffic at all, but it just feels like a ghost town. It's weird going into work and there's nobody there. I miss how easy it was to just run to the grocery store. Everything is running on limited hours so I can't just run into Target at 9:30 p.m. like I used to.

What's the first thing you're doing when you get back to Raleigh? If you already live in Raleigh, what's the first thing you are doing when things return to normal?

Gabriella- When I get back, I plan on hanging out with my friends and celebrating many missed things, like my 21st birthday, a friend's graduation, and some other friend's 21st birthdays!

Regnal- Java Bean ice cream, and go to a Nepali restaurant to eat chicken momo (dumplings). Also, I will be thankful for all the essential professionals who helped us through this crisis.

Paige - I really need some new clothes, so I'm definitely going to thrift stores and Target and trying on clothes! I'm also going to go to the beach.

This article was co-written with Gabriella Barcinas and Regnal Shrestha.