How College Changed My Life
Education

7 Ways College Has Changed Me For The Better

College is so much more than gaining an education.

86
Personal Photo

American society holds education up high in terms of values, and college is a great place to get an education. What you may not know, though, are the other ways college can help you. These are 7 ways college has helped, and changed, me.

College has helped me learn how to socialize.

Sure, I already knew that- but I was awful at it. Social situations made me so nervous I tried my hardest to avoid them. Even ordering at restaurants made me anxious. Now that I'm almost forced to socialize every day, it's gotten so much easier. Telling people how I feel about something, what I want or need, and asking for help used to be awful. Since I've been here, I'm much better at communicating and being upfront about my own wants and needs.

I've learned effective time management... The hard way.

Because I am disorganized by nature, and a terrible procrastinator, I knew college was going to be a little harder than high school in terms of due dates and getting assignments in on time. I was prepared to change my ways, and luckily so! When before it was hard to force myself to do the work, now it is easier. It could be because the stakes are higher, or maybe because I actually enjoy the work now, or even possibly because I just know I have to- but whatever the reason, the gift of time management came to me, and thank goodness it did.

The friendships.

In high school, I had my friends, my circle. I loved them and still talk to some of them, but the friends I've made out here are wonderful, too. My awesome boyfriend, my next-year roommate, and my friends in the band- I never would've gotten where I am without them. I even have a few friends here that I went to high school with, my boyfriend included. I was afraid of how hard it would be to make friends out here at Ship, but surprisingly enough, it came pretty easy. When you spend a week of 13-14 hour days with people (band camp, anyone?), you get to know them and it becomes hard to avoid a friendship.

Marching Band.

I mentioned band camp in #3, but I think it needs its own piece. I've been playing clarinet for nine years. I started in my middle school band, then moved up to high school marching and concert band. It means a lot to me because I never really "fit in" anywhere else, except with the German students. When I looked for colleges, I wouldn't even look if a school didn't have a marching band. When I came for the open house at Ship and talked to Mr. Trever Famulare, director of bands, I was awe-struck by not only how welcoming he was, but how excited the other band members I talked to were. They were so happy and honored to be part of the Shippensburg University Marching Band. I just had to know what it was like for myself. When band camp started in early August, I was so nervous. What if I didn't like it? What if my section didn't like me? It was so much different than high school band camp; days were up to 14 hours long as opposed to just 4, I ate breakfast with the people I practiced with, and obviously, I lived here. All my worries were put to rest within a few days when I realized that I had not only become a member of the SUMB, but a member of the FAMily. The band kind of adopts their members. Even if you make no other friends, the band will always be there. We always have each other's backs, no matter what.

The environment.

Where I come from, a small city called Pottsville in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, the environment there is weird, to say the least. People and businesses come and go, but the city always remains the same. It almost feels like time doesn't really pass. I was born and raised in Pottsville, went to school there, made many memories and friends there, and it'll always be home. However, when I moved into my dorm out here in Shippensburg, I was almost surprised by the way it felt so... different. Time feels like it flies out here compared to back home, where it feels like time's taking a nice leisurely stroll. I can honestly say I much prefer it out here!

College has allowed me to heal from past experiences.

*Trigger warning: mention of emotional abuse!*

When I was around 15, I was in an awful relationship with a boy I knew. He was manipulative and nasty to me, calling me any name that wasn't my own and making me feel worthless and terrible. He was never physically abusive, but mentally, that was a different story. He tried to cut me off from my best friend of 10 years, tried to make me turn on my own family, tried to make me quit band and choir, and yelled at me if I left the house without his permission. I've been out of that situation for years now, but something about it just never went away- until I moved out to Ship. Suddenly, I felt like my recovery was outpacing the memories of him and what he did. I could not heal in the environment where I got sick; being away from the town it happened in helped tremendously. My relationship with my current boyfriend is healthy and about a zillion times better than that one.

*If you are in an abusive relationship, whether it be mental, emotional, physical, or any other kind, please reach out! You are not alone. You can get through it. It's difficult and it can be scary, but there are resources available to help you!*

Experiencing independent life without being completely alone.

Moving away from home was terrifying to me since I'm a bit of a homebody. I like to be at home where everything is familiar and I know everyone. Home is where my parents are, where my dog is, where my own bed and my own bathroom and my history is. Leaving it behind to pursue my dreams out here was scary. But once I realized I'm always just a text away from my family, I was much happier. Being independent without having the full responsibility of an independent person is a great transition into real-world life. My mom said, before I came to Ship, "You can always come home." It's really stuck with me. Life is good out here, but having the option to go home makes it easier.

College isn't everyone's first choice, and that's perfectly fine. It was my choice because I wanted to study psychology. Shippensburg was my choice because I fell in love with it when I toured in 2016. It has improved my life in ways I didn't even imagine it could. I am beyond happy out here and so grateful I found Ship and was accepted. I can only imagine it gets better from here!