An Open Letter To My Partner
Education

An Open Letter To My Partner

Here's a change-up; a guy confessing his love for his woman.

1460
An Open Letter To My Partner
Emmett Thompson

When you meet someone, do you think about their impact on you? Do you think about how they could somehow become ingrained in your history for the rest of your life? Who knew what would come of this lonely and fragile boy meeting such a wonder like you?

Comfort is priceless

It's one thing to be comfortable with your partner, and it's another to be comfortable because of your partner. I know I've told you this a few times too many, but I have never felt as comfortable with someone as I do you. You give me hope, you foster my dreams, you support me in everything, and you let me be as weird as possible just because I can only do so with you. As foreign as it was, you respect me as I am. You took my insecurities about my body and accepted them like you do your own. You double-check to make sure I'm not offended by certain words, just so I never have to feel hurt by you. You have given me the love I never thought possible.

Let's turn that frown upside down

media.giphy.com

One thing I never thought possible was finding someone as stupidly goofy as me. They always say opposites attract, but I happen to believe we are way too similar in personality than most are with their partners. With that in mind, we may not have contrasting personalities that complete each other like a puzzle, but we perfectly align in unison. When you get upset because you are stressed or anxious, I can't help but pull a joke you never could see coming just to see your eyes light up in unexpected happiness. Hell, you even get mad at me because sometimes you just want to feel what you need to to get it out, and you can't stop laughing. When I'm mad because I'm irritated or frustrated, you make fun of how my shoulders move when I walk in an angry fashion. Never did I think getting emotional could always have a happy ending. Never did I think going to bed with a grudge would stay something of the past.

Planning isn't always a bad thing

<a style="background-color:black;color:white;text-decoration:none;padding:4px 6px;font-family:-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, &quot;San Francisco&quot;, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Ubuntu, Roboto, Noto, &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;line-height:1.2;display:inline-block;border-radius:3px" href="https://unsplash.com/@breakyourboundaries4?utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=photographer-credit&amp;utm_content=creditBadge" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" title="Download free do whatever you want high-resolution photos from Matt Collamer"><span style="display:inline-block;padding:2px 3px"><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" style="height:12px;width:auto;position:relative;vertical-align:middle;top:-2px;fill:white" viewBox="0 0 32 32"><title>unsplash-logo</title><path d="M10 9V0h12v9H10zm12 5h10v18H0V14h10v9h12v-9z"></path></svg></span><span style="display:inline-block;padding:2px 3px">Matt Collamer</span></a> Photo by Matt Collamer on Unsplash

Although our beginning was something not-so-familiar to me, it also paved the way for a completely new experience. We took it slow, as slow as we could, and let ourselves be sure we could commit. Once I was in, I knew I was in for good. That's what's odd; I could see something special in you from the very beginning. I wasn't sure what it was at first. Soon after, I began to have the ability to imagine a future with you. You know, the adult things. Getting married, buying our first house together, having kids, raising them, and of course the typical growing old together. The thing is, before, I couldn't even picture myself doing those things, let alone with someone else. You gave perfect imagery to the person who is supposed to fill the rest of the picture.

Oh well

giphy

I know everyone says we're literally out of our minds for planning such life events together, but being with you is like nothing else. We have our rough times, of course, but there is nothing you could be mad about that wouldn't make me want to poke fun at your grumpy face and then do the dishes AND laundry to make up for it. Things won't be easy, you and I are not blind to that, but we have made it through a lot thus far.

I owe it all to you

Thank you for showing me proper and unconditional love.

Thank you for believing in me and helping me believe in myself.

Thank you for loving me as I am.

Thank you for always pushing me, especially when I'm standing in the doorway you need to get through.

Thank you for giggling like schoolkids with me.

Thank you for taking care of me when I need it.

Thank you for not fighting my angry side but pulling me out of it.

Thank you for waking morning-Emmett from his nightly coma.

Thank you for being sensitive to my insecurities.

Thank you for doing the laundry.

Thank you for being you, Jade Marie.

Also, someday, let me make you a Thompson?

A special note to all:

And to anyone else reading this, thank you for getting this far. I know, it's gross. One thing to note from this; you don't have to seem perfect for each other on the surface to align perfectly. You don't have to come from similar upbringings. You don't have to agree on everything- except in our situation, I'm feeding her all the information she would need to vote with the correct political party. You don't have to always get along. If you can always get over the grudges, laugh about anything just to see the other smile, get past all of the complications thrown at the both of you, and love each other unconditionally. There is nothing that could stop you.

Be unstoppable together, my dudes.