How Writer's Block Can Be Prevented

How Writer's Block Can Be Prevented

No writer likes a block in their way... here are a few steps to prevent it

15
How Writer's Block Can Be Prevented
Odysseyonline

The thing that is horrible about writer's block is that it creates a bump in creativity and just stays glued to your mind until you stop writing and give up on the piece you were working on. It is agonizing, horrifically frightening and equally terrifying because it does not just annoy you, it controls you, it ends up becoming you. A writer's block is a road to going hours, days even weeks or months without writing a single word on a piece of paper. It is the ugly regret that bubbles to the surface when the block goes away and you realize just how little work was done. The Writer's Block cannot be fought, it cannot be overcome,it can only be waited out and be gone on its own time. Writer's Block does not go away because it wants to torture you, it wants to force you to give yourself a break from writing and is telling you to stop.

At some point in every writer's life, there comes this torturous thing that places a wall to stop any ideas from coming through, and is mainly the cause of stress to make the writing piece perfect, time management and a lack of inspiration. To help with this, here are ten ways to prevent writer's block from happening to you!

1. Take a break

Writer's Block is the devil of every writer. There is no way to overcome it, no way to go back to writing again because the ideas just do not flow, and the result is a passionless piece that is crumpled up and thrown out. The thing every writer neglects to do is take a break. We could be working for hours and never once pace ourselves because of deadlines or due dates. However, it only ends up hurting our writing. If we step back and work on something else, then it may help prevent Writer's Block. Writer's Block comes when writers are overworked, exhausted and think they are dry of original ideas, but breaks allow the writer with opportunities to jump rope, take a nap, work on some homework or even go for a jog. Whatever it is, go do it and make the most of it so that when you come back and write again, the ideas will come to you rather than having you force them out.

2. Have a (Realistic) Goal

Set aside a word count for yourself so that pacing becomes a habit when you are writing. Having a numerical goal helps keep you in track and will not place pressure on you to meet it, unless if it is not realistic. Do not force yourself to write five pages if you know you can only handle one. Writer's Block comes when there is too much work and it creates a dam where the stream of ideas should be flowing, trapping them in. The key is to have a limit.

3. Look through old notebooks

I cannot stress how important it is to keep old notebooks, journals, poetry, whatever it is that you have worked on in the past. Keep it and go back to it! This will allow new ideas to grow from old ones, and you never know when an idea is just going to inspire you to write. That surge of energy and motivation is the enemy of Writer's Block. It acts as a driving force to make you want to write even more than usual. It is inspiration that ignites a passion and fire underneath every word you write or type up, and it prevents the ideas from coming to a stop. By keeping old notebooks, you can prevent Writer's Block from attacking when there is not enough inspiration.

4. Listen to music

Classical or instrumental music always makes me relaxed and comfortable that I want to write. it helps create an environment that is stress-free and soothing so that ideas flow naturally.

5. Get your blood flowing!

Exercise is a great way to get ideas flowing, and it also helps with Writer's Block. With the blood rushing and heart pumping, you will be ready to tackle that writing piece because afterwards, you will be energized and ready to go.

6. Go for a walk

Walking helps with Writer's Block as it creates a peaceful environment and it eliminates stress and worries that could be keeping you from writing. In addition, thinking quietly to yourself as you walk can help generate ideas for a story to write later. Furthermore, a change in scenery can help with inspiration as you will be surrounded by nature and people.

7. Have a set time to write

Maybe you like writing in the morning, or maybe in the afternoon. Some of us prefer looking out at the moon through our windows as we write while others prefer gazing at the sunset. Whatever time it is, have a routine that allows you to write for a certain period of time everyday so that it makes the environment comfortable and relaxing.

8. Talk to a family member or friend

Speaking to someone else can help calm you down and relieve the built up stress. Speaking to someone about anything that is of worry to you can eliminate Writer's Block and allow for more inspiration to come for characters.

9. Have a crazy plot twist

Usually when we are writing and come across Writer's Block, it is because we did something to our characters to to the plot before that prevented the story from going further. Go back and revise some of plot or even add something spontaneous and outrageous to your characters to keep continuing with the story. Nothing is permanent in a draft, so there is no worry to be perfect with it. Have fun playing with your characters.

10. Do not always start at the beginning

If you are looking forward to a certain scene in your story, then write it! Do not wait until you are done with the chapter that you are on, but draft a quick excerpt and see if that ignites motivation to write some more. By writing what you are looking forward to in your story first, it will motivate you to continue, preventing Writer's Block from occurring.