The Top 5 Ways To Make It Through The Semester Without A Mental Breakdown

It happens, but let's try to prevent it, okay?

269

As we hit that mid semester slump, things tend to get hard. Midterms, being so close to spring break but not close enough, thinking about summer plans/jobs; it seems like everything happens at once. To avoid not having a mental breakdown, I comprised some of my top tips together to help you through the rest of the semester without (completely) losing it.

1. Make sure to take time for yourself.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-pink-dress-sitting-on-bed-while-reading-698158/

It can be hard to remember to do things for yourself when you have a million other things going on. Even if you have a test the next day or a paper due tonight, be sure to take a few minutes each day to breathe, read a chapter of a book (for pleasure, not for school), treat yourself to Starbucks, watch a YouTube video, or anything else that helps you decompress. By taking a few minutes to yourself, it will help you alleviate stress and ultimately help you to be more productive overall.

2. Check your planner/calendar consistently.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-pen-and-planner-1898291/

You always want to make sure you're staying on top of assignments and tests that are coming up, so be sure to check your planner/calendar basically every day. Even if it feels like you don't have anything due, always check just to be sure. In addition, if a professor mentions an important date, make sure you right it down immediately. Also, checking your calendar can be extremely helpful when it comes to making plans with friends; you probably don't want to say yes to going out when you know you have a big test the next day.

3. Go to class.

https://pixabay.com/photos/classroom-lecture-hall-college-1699745/

Yes, you probably already knew this one. But, I thought it was beneficial to throw it in here to reiterate how important it is. I know, it's mid-semester, and you probably think about skipping class almost daily. Even if you don't think you need to go, you never know if your professor could throw in a pop quiz or give out important information. Also, going to class helps you not to get behind, and overall just makes you feel better knowing that you went. Plus, we all know that guilty feeling we have after skipping a class. Seriously, just go.

4. Don't skip out on exercising and eating healthy.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/group-of-woman-doing-yoga-868483/

Sometimes, these two things can seem like the least of our worries. But, it's important to not forget about them, even when you are super busy. Try to make time at least a few times a week to workout. Also, not only are you getting exercise, you can also relieve some stress by working out, so it's a win-win situation. As for eating healthy, I know it can be especially hard in college, and by no means am I saying you should be on a strict diet, but it's important to not always eat junk food (I know, I want Chick-Fil-A everyday too). By working out and eating healthy, you'll feel a lot better physically and mentally.

5. Spend time with people that make you happy.

https://unsplash.com/photos/WFBVn6fSgys

Lastly, make sure you're spending time with people that make you happy. Whether it be your significant other, best friend, or mom (or even your dog), be sure to surround yourself and spend time with those that uplift you. It can be anything from going out to eat together or just watching Netflix but spending time with people that make you happy is super important for your mental health.