How To Succeed At YSU

If you're in college, or you plan on going, you know that the first year is a time of transition. Nothing is the same as in high school. Sure, we go to class, get homework, and intend to study; but it comes with a higher sense of freedom. You have the ability to make your own choices such as going to class or not, class time scheduling and even when to take your breaks. However, there is a lot of responsibility that comes along with freedom; and sometimes we just need a little guidance. Peer mentors are people who guide students in their first year of college. Here's 10 reasons why you should go see your peer mentor.

1. Been There, Done That!

Peer mentors are students that have completed a year of college or more. They have been through classes and understand how college works. They realize that as humans, we all make mistakes; and more than likely, they've made similar mistakes in the past that you make in school now. Peer mentors emphasize with you and are pretty quick to provide positive tips on how to succeed.

2. Motivation.

Sometimes, especially when things get tough, it's easy to lose motivation. We can get so caught up in our struggles that we lose sight of what's really important to us, success. Peer mentors are great at motivating their fellow students. They know what it is like and can relate to you as a peer, and they always seem to know just what to say.

3. Helpful Tips.

Sometimes, we may think that we are doing fine, and then it hits us. Plot twist, we're not doing fine. There are times where we just don't know what to do, especially in a new situation like college. Since peer mentors are considered to be experienced college students, they have wonderful tips and tricks on how to successfully get through your first year as a college student, and how to carry these tips and habits with you for the rest of your college career.

4. Any Questions?

Along with helpful tips, they also know a lot of answers to a lot of questions. Even questions that you didn't think about. A lot of times, in new experiences, we are confused, we just don't know whatto ask. It can also be very unnerving to have to make yourself vulnerable to people you don't know and reveal to them that there is something you don't know; that's OK though! Peer mentors do a great job of gauging the situation, and coming up with solutions to your premature questions.

5. Future Friends

Although the peer mentor position is a paying job, they are not payed to pretend. The very fact is that they truly genuinely care about you and your success. If they did not, they wouldn't have applied for the job; and the conversations they have with you are real. So if you think you're hitting it off with your peer mentor and have this funny idea that you are becoming friends, you're totally right!

If you're one of the people that don't think it's important to see their peer mentor, I can assure you that it really is. They're there to help you succeed and when you go, you most likely will.