Easy Ways to Stay Happy and Healthy During Quarantine

Health is your best asset and greatest gift during this difficult time. Learn simple ways to stay healthy!

41
Unsplash

Socialize, but make it virtual

In current circumstances it can be difficult to maintain an active social life, but it doesn't have to be. Take the time to connect with a friend or loved one via social media, phone call, and video chat. Socializing with people close to you increases mood and allows you to stay active in others' lives. You are not alone during this time and do not have to be.

Stay Active

Making the time to stay active can be beneficial to your overall health. The benefits range from increased endurance, reduced risk of health complications, ability to effectively cope with stress, positive effects on mental health, and better sleep. Staying active does not have to be complicated. Designate twenty minutes daily to taking a walk, biking, or completing home workouts that increase your heart rate.

Be Mindful of the Foods You Consume

Nutrition is an important component of maintaining a healthy lifestyle that reduces the risk of disease and illness. There is major truth to the saying, "eating an apple-a-day keeps the doctor away"—but this time add in some kale. Make healthy eating a challenge and rewarding experience by aiming to have a "colorful" plate for each meal. This means making sure you have a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, along with sources of complex carbohydrates and protein.

Prioritize Sleep

Prioritizing some quality Z's will pay off majorly during this time. Quality and sufficient sleep will benefit your body in a multitude of ways. Create a nighttime routine you look forward to as a way to ease the mind and shift yourself into snooze mode. Your energy levels and body will thank you!

Practice Good Hygiene

The news seems to repeat two important habits: Do not touch your face and wash your hands. Those are just two steps in the right direction to staying healthy during this time. Maintain a good personal hygiene routine and find a reason to pamper yourself. A little self-care can do you some good.

Manage Stress and Mental Health

Mental wellbeing and stress levels are just as important as physical aspects in maintaining good overall health. Maintaining positive relationships, practicing mindful activities such as meditation, repeating self-affirmations, and speaking to trusted people when you are not feeling 100% will ensure that you are in-sync with your emotions during this time. Check in with yourself, just like you would do for a friend or family member.

Find an Accountability Partner

If you have the opportunity to communicate and collaborate with another person, utilize that resource. Motivate each other to maintain healthful habits, while simultaneously creating a positive atmosphere for socialization. This can be as simple as making a phone call to a close friend once a day.

Keep Up with Appointments and Prescriptions

A lot of doctors and health practitioners have made their services available via online platforms, as well as allowing certain patients to receive direct care. Do not neglect filling regular prescriptions and reach out to healthcare providers when needed.